Chapter 117

The number of flying demons was increasing by the minute and Serena had even opted to switch out her swords for a bow, like her husband's. It actually was her husband's, his spare set at least. She was a decent shot, nowhere near Alec's level but she could hold her own. She preferred close-quarter combat though, much like her twin, both of them choosing blades and swords as their weapons.

After a call to Magnus, the three Shadowhunters and the warlock met at Croton Point where Izzy had located the rift.

They needed to move fast because Jace and Clary were alone against the Circle and Valentine and Serena just had a bad feeling about it all.

The waves lapped against the sand as they approached the circular rift that led to Hell, even finding blood on the sandy shores.

"Where did all the demons go?" Izzy wondered.

"I'm not sure. They just don't normally fly off into the sunset,'" Magnus quipped.

"Well, let's not stick around until they make an appearance," Alec said.

"The amount of energy required to seal a rift from Edom is substantial, it is, after all, the most powerful hell dimension. It's not just a flick of the wrist. I may even need your help, Serena, if it comes to it," he said as he stood on the opposite side of the hole and the blonde nodded to him.

Magnus's hands glowed red this time as his magic surrounded the rift, and the others observed another demon flying up towards them.

Alec pulled Serena back behind him, but Izzy was knocked to the ground.

"Izzy!" her parabatai yelled.

"GO! I'm alright!" she promised as she took a heavy breath, but she was awake and that was what mattered.

"Cover me," Magnus ordered and Serena and Alec nodded at each other.

Alec ran after the demon that knocked Izzy down as Serena drew her bow and scanned the skies, staying close to Magnus.

Alec missed.

And his arrow had drawn the demons' attention as he began running back towards the group, the winged creature spitting fire at him as he sprinted.

Serena aimed.

Just like he'd taught her. Inhale. Aim. Exhale. Release.

And the demon exploded as Alec crashed onto the sand.

"Alec!" Serena yelled as she began shooting at the small demonic creatures that came running for her husband, missing several, that thankfully Izzy got with her whip.

"Serena!" Magnus called to the blonde as the rift was almost sealed, but it almost seemed to be resisting as Magnus strained to close it. Without hesitation, she took his hand, and Magnus was imbued with her heavenly strength as the rift finally sealed shut and he collapsed to his knees, taking Serena with him.