Chapter 1092

Matt's POV: After finishing up at the hospital and finally leaving to go back to the Firehouse after an hour, I smiled at Gabby as she had her hand on my leg. I was going to complain since it turned me on but instead, I decided to just leave it because I wasn't going to get any action tonight. That's when I decided to grab her hand and rubbed it. "We need to fill up at all this run or we okay?" Gabby then went to check the gas meter and smiled. "We can fill up at the house." I agreed and nodded, turning towards the house rather than going to the service station.

That's when I saw that there was a bunch of traffic on the way back to the house and then just sat there. "Of course, the house is like a mile away and we are stuck in traffic." Gabby then sighed and looked at me. She then went to grab her phone and put on some music. "One of the reasons I never leave the firehouse without my phone." I laughed because we both knew that wasn't true. "You know, other than the fact you want to have it in case we get a call about Matteo." Gabby nodded and agreed. "Shut up, you do the same."

I nodded and smiled when the traffic moved a bit. That's when I heard the radio call us. "Dispatch to Ambo 51." I then went to grab the radio. "This is 61." The radio then replied. "You are being diverted to Firehouse 33 temporarily. Traffic is very congested on route to Firehouse 51." Gabby then turned to look at me and bit her lip. "Dispatch, is that required? We are already worried about COVID." Dispatch the replied. "Yes, Ambulance 95 is temporarily at 51."

I understood and sighed before turning to move to firehouse 87. It was nearby and I understood. Once I turned towards it, I looked at Gabby. "Should we just stay in the ambulance?" Gabby turned to look at me and nodded. "We don't know anybody there. We can just relax in here." We both nodded as I drove the two blocks towards Firehouse 87. Driving up, I realized exactly which house this was. I had to help transfer Shay from this Firehouse to ours when she first moved there. I turned to Gabby and grabbed my hand when we sat there. "You recognize it?"

Gabby then nodded and sighed. "This was Shay's old house." I nodded and understood as I went to shut off the ambulance. Sitting there, I heard the chief come out and looked at us. "We just heard the you've been re-routed." I then moved to look at him and nodded. "Just temporarily. Traffic. Can we just stay in here until we can head back?" He then nodded. "Want to come eat?" I sighed and shook my head. "COVID. We have a young son at home." He understood and nodded.

"You guys want anything to drink." Gabby thought about it. "Can you fill up our water bottles?" I then went to grab mine and smiled at him. That's when we both saw Cordova there. "Oh god, no." Jake then walked over to us and smiled. "Chief, how about you let me do that? I'm friends with the PIC." The chief then turned to look at him and nodded. "You both have a good new year. Thanks for stopping by." Cordova smiled. "I will be right back with these."

We both nodded and agreed. I then turned to look at Gabby and sighed. "Does this ruin some of the memories you have here with Shay?" Gabby then shook her head. "No, because we are here together. Just weird that we run into him today of all days. I mean, the last possible day of the year where we could see him again...and we see him." I laughed and smiled at her. "Hey, I am not jealous anymore remember? You are my girl." Gabby then nodded as she leaned in.

I then did the same and went to kiss her when we heard Cordova. "Whoops, my bad." I then turned to look at him and smiled as I went to grab the water bottles. "Mind if I just stand here and we talk while you are on break?" I nodded and smiled. "We have nothing better to do other than wait for a call." He agreed and smiled. "So, how's your little guy and who's watching him tonight?" Gabby smiled when he asked. "Remember my niece Eva?" He nodded.

"How old is she now?" Gabby chuckled. "She's turning 18 this year." He laughed and nodded. "Your brother must be thrilled that he is going to have an empty house in a few months." I just shook my head. "He's expect twins with his fiancé in 3 months." Jake was shocked when he heard that. "Okay, now that's shocking. You wouldn't mind if I called him would you Gabby?" Gabby then shook her head. "Don't, he's not a fan of any of my exes who broke my heart."

Cordova then looked at her. "Are we really going to hash this out again when we are both married? She kissed me!" Gabby just rolled her eyes and smiled at me. "Okay, awkward." That's when we saw the lights light up and we looked at the chief. "Cordova get in, Ambo 61. You follow us. Fire at the abandoned Lakeshore Hospital." I then nodded and went to start the ambulance. We then pulled out. "I know where it is. See you there Chief." We then rolled out to go there.

Gabby then bit her lip and sighed. I decided to grab her hand. "Relax, I am not going to get shot again." I understood and nodded. "I want to have backup just in case. Can I radio Ambo 95 to be there just in case?" I nodded and agreed. Gabby then grabbed the radio. "Ambo 81 to Ambo 95." Ambo 95 then replied. "Go ahead Ambo 81." Gabby spoke up. "How about you meet up with your unit at Lakeshore or is the traffic too bad? They just called."

Ambo 95 then replied, with a sigh. "Traffic is too bad. Can you take the call and we will get there eventually? We are almost out. There seems to be a traffic stop for drunk drivers." I understood and nodded when I remembered that Antonio is doing it. "Can you keep me on temporarily. My brother works there." Matt then turned to look at me. "He's doing the ride system?" I nodded and agreed as we stayed on the line to talk to Antonio.