Chapter 1101

Meanwhile, back at the Firehouse
Matt's POV: After waking up from I nap, I looked at the time and saw it was now 4 pm. I ended up sleeping for 2 hours and I was shocked. That's when I noticed that Gabby wasn't there. Deciding to get up, I walked out to the main room when I heard Severide yell. "There's sleeping beauty!" I just looked at him and rubbed my eyes. "Okay, I am still waking up." Boden then turned to look at me. "You okay Matt? You slept for 2 hours." I sighed and nodded when I saw Gabby come back from another run. "Hey, why didn't you wake me?"

Gabby then looked up at me and smiled. "You looked tired. And we've had a busy week. Between Christmas, work, Matteo only being 4 months old and then you already being the 'perfect' husband, you needed the rest if you were going to last until midnight. So, I asked Boden to call in a reliever for a few hours." That's when I saw Chout come out of the washroom and I stared. "You worked with Chout...voluntarily?" Chout then looked at me and smiled. "Good, you're up. I'm out of here Boden. Have a good New Year's working suckas!" He then went to grab his stuff and left.

I then looked at Chief. "Chief, I am going to make him restock one of the ambulances before he leaves. Sorry but, that can't be accepted in this firehouse." Boden nodded and agreed. I then walked away and looked at Chout. "Chout!" He then turned to look at me. "Oh, by the way Matt. Congrats on getting Gabby back and the new baby." I nodded and smiled. "Thanks. But listen...as payback for calling us suckers, you are going to take one of the ambulances to med and stock up.

He then glared at me. "I don't work here and you aren't my PIC." Gabby then came out and looked at him. "Hey Chout, about that story you told me about that really horrible attempt to try and kiss Matt's sister once...." Chout then went to run away. However, I was shocked. "Wait, what?" I turned to look at Gabby. "He and my sister..." Gabby then shook her head. "Laura. He thought that she was your sister-in-law."

I laughed and smiled when she did that. I then went to wrap my arm around her shoulders and kissed her head, loving how much fun we can have at work. We then went to sit down when I realized that maybe we should start the food. "Hey Gabby, we need to cook that food right?" Gabby then looked at the time. "Shit, that's right." I then let her go and she walked away to the fridge to grab the wings from the fridge.

She then went to turn on the oven before putting it on the counter. Stella then walked over to Gabby and smiled. "The guys are going to love what you brought for supper." I nodded and smiled. "What did you and Severide bring?" Stella smiled. "We brought a pie for desert." She then went to look in the fridge and saw it wasn't there. "Babe, you brought the pie in from your car?" Severide then looked at her. "Yeah."

That's when we all stared at Mouch when we saw that he was eating a pie. Stella got mad and went to yell at him. "MOUCH!" Mouch then looked at her. "In my defence, there was no name on it and it's considered healthy according to Trudy." Stella then walked over to him and slapped his head. "That's because it's for our New Year's Eve meal that we are having at the firehouse." Stella then grabbed it from him and went to cut out what he ate.

"Everybody, make sure that Mouch doesn't eat any of this later!" We all agreed and stared at Mouch. That was when we heard Donna come in with the food that Chief decided to bring. "Wallace, can you get someone to give me a hand?" Matt then got up right away and went to help. "Here Donna, I got it. What is it anyways?" Donna then smiled. "One of Wallace's favorites. My lasagna. It's already cooked. You just need to heat it up." 

Chief smiled when she said that and then walked over to her. "Thanks. You going to stay for a while?" Donna shook her head. "I left Terrence at home watching TV. I didn't realize he wasn't with me...so I need to head back." Chief then nodded and understood. He then turned to look at us all. "Matt, you're temporary Chief okay? I am going to go say goodnight to Terrence if that's okay?" I nodded and agreed. "Sure thing. Want me to do some drills?"

Chief laughed. "Go ahead." He then turned to look at Donna. "How about you drive ahead? I'll drive with the chief's car." Donna then nodded and agreed as she went out to their (personal/family) car so that she could head home. Meanwhile, Chief went to get in his jeep so that he could go home and say goodnight to Terrence. That's when I decided to speak up and looked at everybody. 

"Okay guys, listen...I thought we could talk about this privately later but, I want to do something for Boden to thank him for such great leadership this year. Sure, the CFD is going to do it but we all know that he's had it hard. And I think me and Hermann can speak on experience. We need to do something for him." Gabby smiled when I said that. "That's sweet Matt but, maybe we should wait until the pandemic is over. Then, we can send him and Donna on a trip."

Matt nodded and agreed. "I am pretty sure that he is going to retire when the pandemic is over. He deserves it." Everybody nodded and agreed. Matt then looked at Hermann. "You going to try to go for the Chief's job if he retires Hermann?" Hermann then shook his head and looked at Matt. "No, because you should be the one to take the spot."