Chapter 1102

Matt's POV: When Hermann said that I'm next to be Chief of Firehouse 51, I was a bit shocked. I mean, am I really ready for that? Would me and Gabby be ready for that? I mean, sure...we've been together on-and-off for years but, we have a 4 month old son and might be expecting a second child with a surrogate either this year (2021) or the year after (2022). Honestly, based only on that fact...I am not sure that I would even consider taking the job if I was offered it. I then turned to look at Gabby and saw she was nervous, waiting for my answer.

"Listen, right now...I am not even thinking about that okay? Me and Gabby already have other stuff on our plate. Stuff that we are keeping private." Gabby then looked at me and then nodded. "Matt, we should tell them. That way we can have our entire family to support us. Plus, Kelly and Stella already know about our plans. So...we need to tell everybody eventually." Hermann then spoke up after hearing what Gabby said. "Okay, that makes it official. You are telling us what you guys are talking about right now!" I nodded and agreed.

"Can't argue with 51's Captain." Hermann nodded and agreed. I then turned to look at Gabby and put my hand out to motion for her to come over. "Come here and sit down Gabby. We are going to tell people together." Gabby nodded and agreed as she walked over to me. Feeling her sit in my lap, I smiled as she wrapped her arm around my neck before kissing it softly. I smiled when she did that while putting my hand on her leg. "So, what our news is...we are talking about expanding our family next year or the year after."

Everybody was shocked by that. Well, everybody but Stella and Severide since they already knew. Hermann then decided to speak on behalf of the firehouse and asked the question that nobody wanted to ask. "Wait, but earlier this year...you got an abortion. Now, you are willing to risk Gabby's life again?" Gabby then stopped him. "Okay, let us just be clear that is never going to happen. We already took care of that." Gabby then ran her fingers through my hair and smiled as she kissed the side of my head. "Matt already got snipped earlier this year so..."

Hermann nodded and understood. "Okay, then how are you going to have kids?" I decided to continue. "I collected some of my sperm before I got snipped and it's in storage. We are currently looking at surrogates and then we have to make some calls to get interviews set up. So, we are estimating that we may have 2 kids by either next Christmas or early 2022." Gabby nodded and smiled. "We don't want the kids to be too far apart. But, I still want to look at adoption."

I was shocked when she said that. "Gabby, no. We are not doing 3 kids. Well, you know what I mean...like adopting a third child. 2 is more than enough but, if we get twins or triplets...we are done. We have to think about how much time we are going to need to spend with 2 kids." Gabby nodded and then sighed. I could tell stuff was tense and I was glad then we got another call because it would allow us to talk in the ambulance. However, before we could get up Gianna and Noah were about to go. "Guys, we got it." Gabby then got up and walked away.

I then went to grab my jacket and followed Gabby out. "Gabby, wait up so that we can talk." Gabby then nodded as she went to get in the ambulance. I knew that this ride was going to be tense. I just hoped that we could talk either on the ride there or on the way back. Or even better...once we are back at the firehouse where we'll have privacy.