Chapter 126

"Rena, it's 3 am. What are you still doing awake?" Jace asked as he walked into ops to find his sister sitting at a desk, a half-eaten burger next to her as she tiredly looked at the screen.

"I could ask you the same thing," she said pointedly. "But, uh, to answer your question. I gave Izzy a break looking through this footage that Luke sent over."

After reassigning Raj and his crew to Wrangel Island, which was essentially banishment, Serena had found her parabatai barely awake as she analysed the footage.

"I, uh, I couldn't sleep," Jace said, and Serena spun in her chair.

"Why not?" she asked as she pulled her feet onto the chair, heels discarded under the table.

"Just couldn't."

"Wanna tell me the truth, Jacey?"

He looked at the floor. "Ok, fine. It was a nightmare. I've been having the same one for the past few nights."

"About what?"

His hands started to tremble.

"Rena, in every one, Clary dies. And I'm the one that killed her."

Serena stood as she held her brother's shaking hands.

"Listen to me, you would never, ever harm Clary intentionally. I know it. Clary knows it. And you know it. Don't let these nightmares scare you into thinking otherwise. And if you want to avoid them then use a Somno rune."

"Yeah, ok. Why didn't I think of that?" Jace muttered, still staring at the floor.

"That's because I'm clearly the smarter and better looking Herondale twin."

Jace scoffed. "As if."

They chuckled for a second before Serena sat back down, Jace nabbing a bite of her burger before he said, "Rena, go get some rest. I can take over looking through this footage."

"It's not the looking I need help with. Check this out," she said as she played the clip.

A demonic creature of some kind leaning over a mundane as it possessed it.

"I've never seen possession like that before," Jace commented as Serena zoomed in on the demon.

"I've never seen a demon like that before. And the Clave has absolutely no record of a demon that looks like an owl or possesses people like that, so what is it?"

"I don't know," Jace said. "But whatever it is, we have to stop it."