Chapter 127

Maryse was coming.

Alec had received word that their mother was coming by for an impromptu family dinner, which usually meant that she was losing control about something in her life and needed to fix everything she thought was going wrong in theirs.

Magnus had been gracious enough to let them have the dinner at his house, Catarina and Dot already having invited him out for dinner anyway, so his house would be empty.

He'd helped set up the table and helped Alec cook before bidding them good night and good luck. And by them, it meant Serena and Alec. Jace and Izzy had pulled out last minute to go on a mission with Clary, so the couple was extra nervous as Serena fixed Alec's collar.

"The table needs more candles. Do you think the table needs more candles?" Alec fretted.

"Even if it did, we wouldn't have the time. Wards just picked up Mom entering the building," Serena replied as she smoothed out Alec's already smooth shirt and he adjusted the necklace on her chest.

"Oh god. Are you ready?"

"No. But I think we'll be ok. Though I swear if she brings up the fact that we've been married almost three years and haven't had kids yet, there's going to be problems. Don't get me wrong, I love you and want a family with you, just not now."

"Oh no, I agree," Alec said honestly. Though they often discussed having a baby, they'd agreed that it was too soon. This was their time to just be with each other and with all the threats posed to them, neither would want to risk their child. Maryse had pushed it a couple of times over the years, but in the end had agreed that the threat of Valentine and then Jonathan was too great to risk bringing a child into the mix. But now that Valentine was dead, they hoped that their mother would maintain her views and let them decide when to have a child.

To be fair, most parents really pushed and hounded their children for children with the number of Shadowhunters dwindling, way more than Maryse did.

There was a knock on the door.

"My children!" Maryse smiled as she hugged Serena and then Alec.

"Uh, good to see you to Mom," Serena said uncertainly as Maryse then hugged Alec.

"Yes, it's nice to see you both under much better circumstances," she beamed as she walked into the apartment.

"Can I get you a drink?" Alec asked as Maryse spun to face them.

"How about some cocktails? You both are friendly enough with Magnus that you should be experts at them."

And she went to sit at the table.

"She's possessed. I'm telling you," Serena whispered to Alec who had a serious look on his face.

"No. No demon is that peppy."