Chapter 132

When Serena woke, the first thing she felt was people holding her hands.

She could hear the sharp intake of breaths and the movement of people standing as she tried to force her eyes open.

The light was blinding as she blinked a few times, adjusting.

It was then that she realised that Alec held one of her hands and Maryse the other, Izzy also standing next to Alec.

"We have to stop meeting like this," she joked as she smiled at them and they all had to laugh as Alec hugged her, pressing kisses to her lips before moving back and allowing Izzy and Maryse to hug her.

"What happened?" she asked.

"You saved an angel," Maryse said in amazement as her eyes were lined with tears, only then did she notice how covered up her mother was, likely to cover up the places where her runes used to be, and her heart broke for her.

"You saved Ithuriel and you died. My rune and Alec's completely disappeared. I felt our bond break," Izzy informed, voice so soft as she directed Serena's attention to her.

"Ithuriel himself carried you to the Institute. You would've loved the looks on everyone's faces when they saw an angel holding you," Alec said with a small smile.

Alec and Maryse then helped Serena sit up, the girl stiff but not sore.

"How long have I been out?"

"A couple days. A lot has happened while you were out," Alec said grimly and her brows furrowed.

"Where's JJ?" she asked, noting his absence, and the whole room seemed to hold its breath.

"S, a lot happened while you were out," Izzy began.

"Where is he?!"

"Jace is the Owl," Alec finally said.

Serena's jaw dropped but it was mostly in realisation as she remembered Ithuriel's words.

"That's what Ithuriel meant by we have to save the Owl from Lilith."

"Ithuriel told you about that?" Izzy asked. "What else did he say?"

"Uh, just that he told Clary why and she had to be the one to tell me. And that we already have everything we need to save the Owl, or Jace, from Lilith," she recited as she touched her throat unconsciously.

"At least we know he can be saved," Izzy said and then Serena started to get up from the bed.

"Whoa, whoa, sweetheart where are you going?" Maryse asked as she helped Serena find her footing.

"I have to talk to Clary."

"Just wait. You died, take a second," Izzy urged.

"She won't. Not when it comes to Jace," Alec sighed and Serena smirked at him, he really knew her well.