Chapter 138

Serena felt as if she'd been walking forever when she heard the sound of soft sobbing. As she rounded the corner, a ten-year-old Jace, sat huddled in a corner, legs hugged to his chest and arms cradled over his head as he cried.

"Jace?" Serena called softly and the boy's face shot up before he began scrambling away from her.

"Who are you?! Stay away! You're Lilith!"

"Hey, hey! I'm not here to hurt you and I'm not Lilith," she said as she raised her hands in surrender. "I'm here to help. Serena sent me."

"Who are you? How do you know Serena?!" Jace cried, a look of terror on his face.

"Serena sent me to help you set the falcon free. I'm not here to hurt you," Serena said earnestly.

"Set the falcon free? How? How can you help me do that? How do you even know that?"

Serena's smile was soft. "Serena told me. She said it's a phrase that you two use whenever you're in trouble."

"But I'm not in trouble," Jace said as he stopped moving but stayed sitting on the floor and Serena kneeled near him.

"Yes, you are. You're scared. Scared because you and Serena are living with the Lightwoods now. And you're scared about what's going to happen, scared if they're like Michael."

"How do you know that? Only Serena knows that. Where is she?"

Serena held up her hands in surrender again.

"Serena told me when she sent me here to find you. She misses you. I can take you to her, you just have to come with me," Serena said as she held out a hand.

"No," Jace cried as he scooted back a little bit.

Serena gave him a sympathetic smile.

"Jace, the Lightwoods are nothing like Michael I promise you. I'm a Lightwood and they've been nothing but good to me. To me and my little brother."

"You have a little brother?"

Serena smiled as she nodded. "Mhmm. And I always want him to be safe. Just like Serena wants you to be safe."

Jace then stood and offered his hand to Serena.

"Come with me."