Chapter 167

(A/N: Ok, so I imagine Serena fighting the way Angelia Jolie did in Maleficent. Enjoy. XxD)

******************************************************************

To see the sight of Serena soaring through the air, white wings bright as she flew; a real-life angel; gave the Shadowhunters renewed hope as they fought from the ground, Downworlders alongside them.

It was truly a sight to behold, one for the history books.

But the demons were only dying to be sent back to Edom and return through the rift, coming back again and again until everyone was dead.

Serena tore through them as her swords glowed with their runic inscriptions, covered in both demon ichor and her own blood as she fought as if she'd had the wings her entire life. And when her swords failed, which wasn't often, her voice saved her, the heavenly magic bursting from her mouth in white waves as it blanketed the demons, making them roar in pain before they turned into ash.

And the sight of her, coupled with the fact that Clary would never love him, sent Jonathan into such a rage that he destroyed the Morning Star sword before he fled, making it impossible to close the rift.

Or so they thought. 

Because Serena's heart had stopped when all the demons vanished and the sky glowed with a familiar blue hue, the magic sealing closed the rift and destroying the demons.

She gaped from where she hovered, knowing full well what happened.

Magnus had sent himself to Edom, using the power he'd gain there to seal the rift, saving the Shadowhunters but sacrificing himself in the process.

Serena then spotted her family, flying down to meet them as Alec ran over, wiping her mouth of blood and then kissing her.

"We just lost Magnus, I'm not about to lose you too," he said as he hugged her, ichor staining his clothes too.

And as she hugged her husband, tears sliding down her face, her wings faded away.

They had won, but they had also lost.