Chapter 171

Using Serena to track her parabatai, Magnus then opened a portal to Lilith's castle, the group learning that the Keep there were in had previously belonged to Asmodeus. But after they stepped through the swirling gold portal, they found Jace and Izzy with an injured Meliorn.

After quick hugs, Izzy explained how Lilith transformed into an enormous wraith demon whose wing sliced right through Meliorn and Serena couldn't help but think of when Lilith's hand had punched a hole through her chest, her hand unconsciously moving to her chest, clutching her Portal Pendant tight in her fist as Magnus bent to use his magic to help heal the Seelie. If he died, then so would Jace as the Alliance rune binding the two together was the only thing keeping the angelic Shadowhunter alive in the demonic realm.

And then as if they couldn't be any more stressed, Lilith came flying for the castle.

But even Magnus and Lorenzo's combined magic couldn't stop her.

Alec fired four arrows, none of them inflicting any damage.

Serena had stepped forward to start singing but Izzy was faster, ignoring everyone's protests and sending rivers of fire from her hands to Lilith, the demon burning into ash, before Izzy herself fell to the floor and began to go up in flames and Serena began to copy her movements minus the fire.

"Alec, it burns," she cried as she sank to the floor, feeling her parabatai's pain as Alec struggled to hold her, her skin hot to the touch.

"We have to do something!" Clary yelled as she looked at the state of the two girls.

"Magnus heal her!" Simon yelled, mainly talking about Izzy.

"I'm trying!" Magnus said as his blue magic failed to take hold.

"The heavenly fire's stopping us," Lorenzo said as his magic too failed and he moved over to Serena, the yellow of his magic flowing over her as he tried to cool her down, the magic barely working on her as she was feeling the echo of Izzy's pain rather than the pain itself.

"What if I put the Alliance rune on Izzy?" Clary then blurted. "We could bond her to all of us. We could maybe absorb some of the flame."

"How do we know it's not gonna fry us up? Remember we all have demon blood now," Lorenzo pointed out.

"We all have Nephilim blood too. Even more, if you add Serena," Alec said.

"He's right. Let's do this," Jace said.

"Form a circle," Clary instructed, Izzy groaning on the ground as Serena sat, hand in Alec's as she struggled to breathe through the unbearable heat, Alec's magic barely shielding him from it now.

"It's too dangerous," Izzy whimpered as she burned.

"If it's the only way to save your life, we're all gonna die trying," Simon said.

Clary then drew the rune onto Magnus, Serena and Izzy as they helped her up into the circle, all of them holding hands as they began to writhe in flames.

And then they all burned out as a torrent of heavenly fire shot for the skies, igniting it as they all began to breathe normally again.

"Thank the angel you're ok," Alec said to Izzy and Serena as he pulled his wife into his arms.

"Thank Clary," Simon said as Clary hugged Jace and Simon finally hugged Izzy who was free of all heavenly fire, as was Serena.

"It was all of us," Clary said.

"Isabelle and Serena may be ok, but it appears Edom is very much not," Lorenzo said as he pointed to the sky that was beginning to implode.

"What's going on?" Izzy asked.

"It looks like the heavenly fire destroyed Lilith. But the chain reaction is destroying the entire realm," Magnus explained.

"Then let's get out of here," Serena said.

"Wait. Don't we have to close the rift?" Jace asked.

"There's no reason to close it if Edom doesn't exist anymore," Magnus answered and he opened a portal.

"Come on! Hurry!" he ushered, and they ran through, leaving Edom in flames as it burned out of existence.