lean on me (requested)

"Where are you going?" Rosie mumbled sleepily as her fingers wrapped around your wrist to keep you from getting out of bed.

She's not sure what time it is, but since it's still dark outside she knows it can't be time to wake up just yet. She only had one eye peeked open to look at you.

"Just to get some water. I won't be long." You said and kissed her head, hoping she believed the lie you were telling her, and much to your relief - she did.

She let go of your wrist and yawned before closing her eyes and burying her face back into her pillow.

"Please hurry. I'll miss you."

You couldn't help but grin over her sweetness. You pushed away the blankets and went downstairs. Instead of going into the kitchen, you made your way to the front door.

Before you stepped out into the slightly chilly night air, you pulled your hoodie off the rack and pulled it over your head.

You dug into the pocket and pulled out the pack of cigarettes, as well as the lighter before you stepped onto the front porch and took a seat on the steps.

You lit the cigarette and put it between your lips, taking a puff and finding some much-needed release in the bitter taste.

You listened to the crickets chirp and breathed in the fresh air when you weren't breathing in the smoke, that is. You tried to find some relief, hoping that your mind would begin to calm down sooner or later.

There's so much on your plate and you're not sure where to turn. This habit you picked up thanks to a few of your friends who were also in your shoes seemed to be helping.

You know it's not healthy, but it helped to ease your mind and provided you a sense of relief, which you desperately need when life is throwing so much your way at once.

You put the cigarette back between your lips and took a long puff of it. You had no intention of stopping anytime soon.

In fact, you thought about lighting another one since this one was starting to reach its end.

However, as you reached for the pack, you watched it be pulled away by another hand. There was no question as to who it was.

You recognized that black nail polish and the scoff that followed after the pack was in her hand. You squeezed your eyes shut and felt your heart begin to hammer against your chest.

"What the hell are you doing?" Rosie asked, her voice raised as she quickly, but carefully, snatched the cigarette from your hand.

She put it on the ground before she used her slipper to stomp on it to put it out.

"You're smoking? Since when do you smoke?"

You just swallowed thickly and hung your head.

"Seriously, y/n, talk to me!"

She was almost pleading with you. You could hear the desperation and worry behind her voice. She was concerned and she wanted an explanation.

"Do you know how bad these are for you? You could-"

"I know, Rosé! You don't have to lecture me about it!"

She sighed heavily as you turned away from her, refusing to look at her. She sat on the steps beside you, letting the chirping of the crickets be the only thing that prevented the otherwise uncomfortable silence between the two of you.

"I'm sorry, baby girl. I'm not trying to lecture you. I just don't understand. You say that you know how bad these things are for you yet you still smoke them. It's scary to see."