Chapter 16

Hayley's pov

A cold draft sent a chill down my spine as I walked through the corridors down to the dungeons for my weekly detention with Professor Snape. A twang of guilt stung my heart as I thought about how kindly he had treated me last year only for me to get in that blasted car and crash into the whomping willow. Fred and George had given me the run down of a Snape detention, cleaning dirty cauldrons til the skin on your hands cracked, sorting and preparing ingredients and labelling jars. Although my first detention with him hadn't been like that perhaps this one would be. Maybe before he was blinded by the events of the quidditch match.

Thoughts of Harry's life with the Dursley's drifted into my mind, how awful it must be for him. Why would Dumbledore allow Harry to live with those people? I understand why I stay at the orphanage, life isn't all bad there but the Dursley's? That must be horrid. He didn't even have a chance of adoption there.

It was 5:00pm on the dot when I reached the potions classroom, I wondered why Professor Snape had selected this time considering it was dinner time in the great hall. He didn't seem the kind to want students missing out on dinner, I knocked on the door.

"Enter," Professor Snape's deep monotone drawled,

"Good evening Prof- Severus," I said as I opened the door, remembering his instructions from last time.

A smile tugged at the corner of his lips. Severus was sitting at his desk, he gestured to the chair across from him. I took my seat a little confused by the lack of dirty cauldrons or raw ingredients. Severus waved his wand and two plates floated into the room, one settled in front of me. It was lined with sausages, pasta, carrots, A knife and fork perched on the edge of the plate. The second plate lined with similar foods settled before Severus, he picked up his fork and pointed to my plate.

"Eat whatever you like, do not eat anything you dislike," Severus spoke,

Severus's pov

I watched Hayley tentatively pick up her fork. She went straight for the sausages, a small smile grew on my face. Eating dinner with the girl who I hoped one day would be my daughter who knew such a simple experience could be so enjoyable. I shook my head slightly, there was a purpose to this dinner. Hayley's home life is largely a mystery I need to know if she is safe or if there is any chance of adoption.

"Hayley, how has your second year been treating you," I drawled glancing up at her,

"It's been fine, DADA isn't going to well," she hummed in response moving on to eat her pasta,

A small wave of relief washed over me as I watched her eat properly for the first time in recent memory. I hadn't noticed how worried I had been until this moment. Did the orphanage feed her properly?

"Do you miss your home during the term?" Not the most Tactful you could've been Severus, you are a trained spy you are capable of far more tact then that! I thought to myself. Hayley froze she seemed unsure how to answer her mouth opened and closed like a fish out of water.

"It's alright Hayley, Our conversations are confidential," I said in an attempt to reassure her. She seemed to relax at bit at my words.

"Not really, it's not bad but it's just a little lonely, I spend a lot of time in my room," She cleared her throat.

"No other reason?" I drawled, she fidgeted in her seat.

Perhaps if I shared something about my childhood, a topic I wish to not discuss in depth. For a moment I let memories flood my mind which would I be able to relate back to this girl. This child who is alone, much like I was until I met Lily, this child's mother. The women whose dying wish was I protect her daughter. I need her to feel comfortable with me if I'm to do that.

"I didn't miss my home either, I was lonely as well after my childhood friend and I stopped speaking," she looked up at me with wide eyes,

"Y-You lost a best friend?" I nod,

"Yes, though it was my fault, I said something horrendous. My breaks were very lonely after that,"

A silence over took us. I noticed she had eaten everything but the carrots in fact she hadn't touched them. Not a fan of carrots. I made a mental note of that.

Hayley's pov

Jaime... he did something that took his bets friend from him. Maybe he would understand? At least it's worth a try. Severus seemed to have my best interest at heart.

"Jaime... she was this girl who I was close with growing up... an orphan too," I started, my voice trailed off in places. He placed his fork down and leaned back in his chair. Severus seemed to just be listening to me.

"She died... when... I-I-I," tears welled up in my eyes

"It's ok Hayley you don't have to tell me, it's 7:00pm, feel free to stay in my office tonight," Severus said an air of caring about him. I nodded he smiled softly at me rising from his seat and gestured for me to follow.