Chapter 67

Severus's pov

The night air sent a chill through my bones. I strode through the gates of Malfoy manor. The tall gothic pillars were overgrown with vines. The doors creaked open at my approach, the manor was eerily silent. I rounded a corner entering the dining room which is where the meeting was being held. Grotesque and ghost like figures sat around the table. A woman I recognised was suspended above the table. The dark lord slowly turned towards me.

"Severus... I had begun to fear you had gotten lost... come we've saved you a seat," The dark lord said in a calm tone.

I moved to sit down in the empty chair. the dark lord slowly rose to his feet and began to circle the table. He licked his lips. His eyes danced between deatheater's. I kept my face emotionless strengthening my mental walls. Slowly He came to a stop behind my chair. A dark chuckled fell from his lips.

"Severus... Mr Malfoy made mention of a young Miss Snape,"

He knows... Focus Severus... Focus. Protect her. I'm prepared to sacrifice my life for her. I knew the dark lord would most likely punish me for this betrayal. I tensed preparing for whatever curse he would sling at me. The dark lord chuckled again.

"Nothing to say Severus?" The dark lord hissed, I remained silent.

"Not even going to mention she is Potter's sister?"

The room erupted in murmurs at the dark lord's words. My mind went blank, my worst fear realised. Despite running this scenario over in my head a thousand times I truly did not know what to say. So I remained silent. The Dark Lord's lip curled into a snarl.

"Crucio!"

A gasp passed my lips as a terrible burning pain shot through my body. Every bone felt like it was breaking, every cell bursting, every blood vessel bleeding. My face was scrunched up as I writhed in my chair. Bellatrix's laughter echoed in my mind piercing my ears. Suddenly the pain released and I slumped in my chair panting. Laughter began to echo around the room. The dark lord bent down and whispered into my ear.

"Anything to say now?" I remained silent,

"Crucio!"

My body once again was overtaken by a burning pain. Another gasp escaped my lips. It felt as if I was being burned from the inside out. I couldn't take it anymore. It was all too much. Far too much. The pain was making me delirious. I had to do something, I had to. Something. Anything.

"Dumbledore forced me!" I yelled out.

The pain released. I collapsed back in my chair panting heavily. The dark lord skulked back to his chair a satisfied smirk on his face.

"Is that so Severus?"

"Yes my lord, He insisted I protect the girl," I bit out,

I tried to regain my composure. The dark Lord's face was unreadable. A long crooked smile spread across his features sending a chill down my spine. His next words my blood run cold.

"Keep her in your care, she may yet be of use to us,"

Hayley's pov

"Hayley dear stop pacing they will be here any minute,"

Molly sighed as I ignored her. I paced waiting for Remus, George and Harry to return safely. A twisting feeling in my gut told me something had gone wrong. Remus had insisted I sit this one out especially since we didn't know how my curse would react with polyjuice potion and if someone mistook me for someone else they could die. I chewed the inside of my cheek as The last words my godfather had said to me echoed throughout my mind. No matter what happens know I love you Cub. There was a thud outside. Molly, Ginny and I shared a glance before racing outside. Hagrid climbed off his bike meaning that was the real Harry the mission was a success... but where were the others?

"Wheres Remus and George they should be back-" I started,

"Here!" Remus yelled stumbling from the tall grass the arm of a bleeding harry flung over his shoulder.

George... I rushed towards them. My heart in my throat. Remus carried him inside and Molly wept. The potion wore off to reveal the face of the redheaded twin I was so fond of. He smiled up at me weakly.

"What creature sat in the corner of the room when Harry Potter first visited my office at Hogwarts!" Remus snapped from behind me.

"Grindylow," Harry yelped,

Tearing my eyes away from George I turned to see my godfather pointing his wand at my brother. Slowly he lowered it releasing Harry who immediately began backing up.

"We were betrayed they knew from the beginning," Remus explained,

The sound of people apparating floated in from outside. My godfather turned on his heels and rushed outside. I turned back to George who hadn't seemed to have moved. He was still staring up at me with an undistinguishable expression. A smile tugged at my lips. Remus knelt beside me gently coaxing me away from George as more people returned and flooded the room trying to check on him. My godfather led me outside. He stared out across the darkened field.

"We haven't had a chance to talk since Severus..." he trailed off,

"Nothing really to talk about," I shrugged already feeling the tears dot my eyes,

"Don't shut me out cub. Its my job to take care of you," Remus said glancing at me, his face softened.

"Oh cub I didn't mean to make you cry,"

Tears began to fall onto my cheeks as quiet sobs racked my body. I had been avoiding thinking about my father and that night. My heart cracked as I finally broke allowing the waves of emotion to wash over me. Remus's face filled my vision as he knelt before me his hands hovering by my cheeks. He shushed me gently, my sobs slowed to small sniffles.

"Why did he do it?"

"I dont know cub, I dont know,"