Chapter 10

Hayley's pov

"You sure your up for potions Hayls?" George asked as we stood outside the potions classrooms.

"Yeah you look awful, it's the last class of the day," Fred added, I smile wearily at them.

"I'm fine... really," Fred and George shared a look as I pushed open the door entering the classroom. I hurriedly walked to my usual seat at the front. Most seats were taken since I was one of the last to file in. Professor Snape began to talk about bezoars. Immediately mind mind began to wander.

Letting out a sigh I began to think about the DADA teacher. Quirrell was a really peculiar man, he hovered around corners and I could always hear faint whisperings when I was around him. It freaked me out. seriously he followed Harry around. Dumbledore was also quite peculiar well, he seemed to have a vested interest in me and Harry. Then again who wasn't interested in Harry he is the boy who lived. I tapped my pencil against my desk, my mind spinning with questions. Technically wasn't I the girl who lived?

My mind floated to the mirror of erised. Why was Professor snape there... How was that my hearts desire? I could feel the denial seeping through my pores, I knew why. would I admit it? No wa-

"Miss Green? Am I boring you?" Professor snape spoke raising an eyebrow at me, his voice lacking it's usual bite. My head snapped up, eyes wide.

"Oh! Uh- no of course not! S-Sorry Professor!" I stammered , he smirked slightly turning back to the board.

"It's quite alright Miss Green,"

A tapping caught my attention I turned my head to look at the corner of my desk. Harry had tapped his pencil on my desk and was leaning towards my desk. he gave me a confused look jabbing his thumb at Professor snape. Harry for some reason seemed to have a new found interested in his sister. George had clued me in on the fact, Harry had tried to interrogate the twins about me. Harry tapped on my desk again jabbing his thumb at Snape. I was too exhausted for this and settled on ignoring Harry until after class.

My limbs felt  heavy with fatigue. Sleep had avoided me since the quidditch match. Occasionally I'd managed to grab a few hours rest here and there but nothing substantial. A million questions buzzed in my mind, Dumbledore, Qurriell. They seemed off somehow but I just couldn't place my finger on it.

"Class dismissed... Miss Green stay behind," Snape drawled,

I stayed at my desk while the others filed out. I nervously fidgeted with the hem of my shirt. Professor Snape cleaned the chalkboard and flicked his wand causing all the cauldrons to float back onto the shelf. He stalked towards me, I began to stammer out apology after apology.

"If this is about my being distracted I'm sorry it won't happen again," I said my words flying off my tongue, tumbling haphazardly from my mouth, he scoffed with a hint of a chuckle.

"This is about your lack of sleep," he stated quite matter of factly,

"Huh?" how had he known? I don't remember bringing it up or perhaps I was so tired. I forgot.

"Don't play innocent with me Miss Green, I've been teaching for many years I know when a 11 year old isn't sleeping,"

my face burned with shame. As he stood over me arms folded. We sat like that in silence before he opened his mouth to speak. I flinched expecting harsh words but that was not what met my ears.

"No need for embarrassment, if you find yourself unable to sleep come to my office," he instructed gently. I began to protest,

"But I'm a Gryffin-" he cut me off,

"I'm aware,"

with that he waved his hand dismissing me from his classroom, I quickly walked out. I was going so quickly I nearly bumped head first into someone. Glancing up my gaze was met with the very concerned faces of the twins. They let out a collective audible sigh. They turned on their heels so they were on either side of me.

"We were worried," George muttered,

"Sorry,"

"Do you want to go to great hall or the tower?" Fred said with a sigh

"Tower please,"

The twins escorted me to the tower. I had a feeling they weren't going to let me walk back alone. Once we entered the common room I bid them goodnight and headed straight for my dormitory.

I stared at the ceiling, the dorm was pitch black my roommates snoring filled the air. Sleep evaded me  once again, Snape words echoed in my mind. I let out a deep sigh and dragged myself from bed I changed into casual clothing and headed down the steps to the common room before exiting the Gryffindor tower. I snuck down the halls to the dungeon, which was freezing. I stood before Snape office door and took a breath. As the air left my lungs I knocked, a few moments passed. The door creaked open to reveal the face of snape a tired groggy snap.

"Hayley?" He mumbled his voice heavy with sleep, he stepped aside letting me in. He was wearing a white tee shirt and pants. I sat at the chair across from his desk he sat on the other side.

"Unable to rest?" I nod at his words. He nodded

"Would you- would you like to talk about it," the words sounded foreign on his lips, words asking for me to share my pain or emotions with him despite his cold emotionless demeanour. I gulped air as I thought about it I chose the simplest explanation.

"I'm worried,"

"About," he pressed leaning forward so his elbows were resting on the desk.

"I feel like something bad will happen and the mirror of erised,"  I froze I let that last part slip out

"Bad things happen we must learn to not fear them," I chuckled bitterly,

"That doesn't help,"

"I'm aware," that made me out right laugh. He chuckled as well.

"The mirror?" He seemed to be prodding for infomation

"I saw the man I wished was my father," understanding washed over his face also a little hurt?

"Who was that?"

"A teacher," I didn't really want to hide this from him but what if he doesn't want me? I'm not exactly the kid people want years at the orphanage made that perfectly clear.

"Anyone would be lucky to have you as their child Hayley, now here is a draught of peace you may sleep on the couch in here if you like," he rose from his desk and moved through a door. I moved to the couch downing the draught.