Chapter 50

Severus's pov

Where were they? My daughter had been awol for three hours. My heart was pounding, I hadnt been able to sit still since the order had left. Lupin had assured me that he would retrieve my child. Images of the first war invaded my mind. Lily's dead body... Merlin please let my daughter return to me safe and alive. I slumped into a chair burying my head in my hands. My fingers tugged at my hair willing the tears to go away. Don't cry, don't cry. Be strong she needs you to be strong. She needs you.

Bang! My head flew up to see the members of the order slink in. All of them covered in dirt and some nursing wounds. Oh god what happened. Had they lost. Where was Black? Moody and Kingsley carried an unconscious Lupin. His arms were slung around their shoulders. Where was Hayley? Lupin said he would bring her back. Lupin looked awful. I could see a few people being levitated or carried in. I couldn't make out who everyone was. I tried to follow but Tonks stopped me. They would need to tend to the wounded. Still no Hayley. Where was she? Where was my daughter!

What felt like hours passed before Arthur walked towards me with a solemn look. Oh Merlin she died. My daughter is dead. She is dead. Arthur sat down on the chair beside me and hesitantly pat my back. My heart sank. This is why no one told me anything she has died.

"She's alive," Arthur said. I let out a shaky gasp. A single tear escaped my eyes, she was alive. My daughter was alive. She came back to me. Thank Merlin. Where is she? I need to see her with my own eyes.

"Where is she," I whispered.

"Severus you need to kno-"

"Where is my daughter," I begged. The first and last time I'd ever beg for anything. My tone seemed to strike a cord with Arthur who conceded with a sigh.

"In your room,"

That's all I needed. I need my child. She is my world. My feet carried me as if a mind of their own. I practically sprinted to my room and threw the door open to reveal my unconscious child on my bed. My heart broke and was filled with relief all at once. Arthur placed his hand on my shoulder again. She looked so peaceful. Kneeling down beside the bed the dam finally broke, tears began flowing freely from my eyes. Sobs wrenched themselves from my throat. She's ok, I didn't lose her. I should've been there. I should've gone. I chose being a spy over my child. What kind of father chooses his role in an asinine war over his child?

Hayley's pov

My head was throbbing, a groan escaped my throat. I furrowed my brow. Broken sobs reached my ears. Who was that? Why were they crying? My mind was reeling, which did not help the pounding headache. The only sound that could be heard was the sobs. A cold draft sent a chill up my spine. where was I? Grimmauld place? Hogwarts? Spinners end? What happened? The ministry... deatheaters... the battle... Remus. I shot up my eyes flew open.

"Remus! Where's Remus? Remus!" I rambled, Looking around wildly.

Severus moved to sit beside me he held his hands out. slowly he wrapped his cloak around my shoulders. No! I need Remus. I threw the cloak of scrambling out of bed. Severus let out a sigh, he tried to coax me back into bed. No no no no. I need to see Remus. He can't be dead. Please don't be dead. Please. Please. I can't- I can't lose him. I staggered down the hall to Remus's room. Slumping against the door using my body weight to push the door open.

The room was silent and empty... oh Merlin. My knees gave out I fell to the floor and a broken sob escaped my throat. The last time I saw him aliv-alive flashed in my mind. He was smiling, he was smiling at me. He looked relieved. He had saved me. He was happy he had saved me. Oh Merlin this is my fault. Severus crouched down beside me. His cloak was draped over my shoulders. I pulled it tightly around myself. 

"Lion..."

"By It's my fault dad, all my fault," I sobbed,

"It's not Lion it's not your fault," Severus said gently.

His words brought on a second wave of sobs. My sobs were loud mangled and broken. I've never wanted to see Remus more. I spent all year away from him but I've never missed him more then right now. The faint smell of cinnamon and chocolate. The sweaters. The tired smiles. I want to experience all of it again.

"Cub?" My heart stopped. Merlin that sounded so real. I scrunched my eyes closed clutching my ears

"Severus what happened?"

I turned my head, my heart leapt into my throat. I was seeing things. I had to be. This wasn't happening... was it? Was Remus alive... was my godfather alive? Tears flowed with renewed vigour.

"Moony," I cried.

"I'm here Cub, I'm ok what's wrong?" He hummed his hands hovered by my cheeks.

"I thought you were dead, I watched you get hit-"

"With a stunning spell Cub, I'm ok. I'm ok," he soothed, sharing a glance with Severus over my head. My mouth opened and closed like a fish out of water.

Remus gripped the edges of the closed and used it to gently pull me up from the floor. Severus muttered something about getting dinner. Moony nodded guiding me into mine and Sev's room. He sat me on the bed and moved to sit beside me. I morphed into my coyote form and rested my head on his chest. His heart beat soothed me a little, convincing the part of me that still thought this was a dream that Remus was in fact here. After a moment of sitting like that. I moved back shifting back to my human form.

"You smiled,"

"When Cub?" Remus hummed pulling a Severus's cloak tighter around me.

"When you where hit," I whispered closing my eyes trying to banish the image from my mind. Remus let out a tired sigh.

"I'd saved you, Cub, your dad and I we only care about you surviving," Remus said gently. I began shaking my head.

"Listen to your godfather," Severus drawled,

His voice drawing my attention to the door frame. Severus stepped in a bottle in hand. The bottle was filled with a grey liquid. He sat beside me on the edge of the bed. He offered the bottle to Me, I tilted my head in confusion. He let out a small deep chuckle. He turned the bottle to display the label. Sleeping draught written in Severus's neat handwriting.

"Sleeping draughty Lion," he soothed. I carefully took the bottle from him.

"Do I have too?" I mumbled looking up at him. Severus's face softened and he shook his head.

"However You need sleep, bedtime Lion." He instructed pointing a long finger at my nose

I nodded and I leant back sliding into the pillows Severus's cloak acting as a blanket. The spell of soot and herbs greeted me. Here I was between the two most important people in my life. A smile tugged at my lips as I closed my eyes

"Goodnight Lion," Severus whispered