Chapter 41

Bit of a long chapter today!
Severus's pov

I exited the bedroom softly closing the door, after a draught of peace I'd finally managed to get her to sleep. Remus was waiting outside the room.

"Is she alright?"  I nodded

"Why didn't she tell us? Did she think we'd be made? I thought you said that orphanage wasn't awful?" Remus ran a hand through his hair.

"She didn't want us to worry,"

Hayley's pov

Professor Umbridge returned to her seat after her deranged little monologue and after sending a death glare to the twins. Severus was right everything was going to change and it starts with this woman. She reminded me of crouch. Afraid. Fred and George were already planning a prank on her.

"Puking pastils?"

"Ton tongue toffee?"

"Teeth growing potion?" I suggested, George pretended to wipe a tear from his eye and Fred placed his hand over his heart.

"She is truly one of us, I declare we are now the Weasley Triplets!" Fred announced in mocking formal way. I chuckled

We continued our plotting throughout the day and all the way to the last class of the day, DADA unfortunately the twins being two years older they were only dropping me off at defence. I chose to sit by the door. I don't know why but after 'moody' last year I was prepared to make a quick get away. Harry sat beside me, A small paper bird flitted around the room. Laughter floated around the room, Seamus tried to hit it, I let out my own laugh. I raised my wand and levitated the bird higher out of seamus's reach. He turned back too look at me with a smile and a wink.

"I think he likes you," Harry whispered,

I shot him a withering look before sending a small smile to seamus. The small paper bird that had been fluttering around the room started to sizzle and crackle before falling out of the air. I turned in my seat to see Umbridge in all her pink glory. She started writing on the board and floating the textbooks towards us. 'Basic defensive spells'. Hermione raised her hand.

"There's nothing in here about using defensive spells?"

"The ministry as determined a theoretical knowledge will be sufficient to get you passed your examinations," Umbridge explained.

"But how will we know how to defend ourselves?" Harry asked

"Dear child you'll learn how to defend yourselves in a risk free way," she hummed, I furrowed my brow.

"If we're attacked it won't be risk free?" I said though it sounded more like a question,

"Who would want to attack children such as yourself," she asked more as a statement,

"Oh I don't know lord Voldemort!" Harry retorted. Umbridge went deathly quiet and she looked down right murderous.

"Let me make this quite plain you have been told that a certain dark wizard is at large again. This. Is. A. Lie," she glared at Harry.

"It's not!

"Detention Mr Potter!"

Harry slumped into his chair, I was biting my tongue. I was fuming, sometimes it felt like the world was being held together by duct tap and everyone else couldn't see it. It was this overwhelming felling in my chest Like all my emotions were about to boil over.

"Your DADA education so far has not been up to par, especially in your third year," my head flew up, she wasn't implying Remus was a bad teacher was she? I raised my hand, Umbridge nodded at me.

"I don't understand," she tilted her head at me offering a small smile,

"Poor thing, you can't possibly learn anything from a half-breed," 

I blinked at her utterly stumped, I knew people were prejudiced against werewolves but I hadn't heard it before. Remus was a wonderful teacher and godfather. I won't stand for her slandering him.

"I would appreciate you didn't call him that," I said with as much bite as possible, hoping she was reasonable and would at least back down.

"It's ok dear your half breed god father can't hurt you here," that's it,

"Remus Lupin would never harm me! And don't call him or any werewolf a half breed!" I snapped

I slammed my hands on the table. Umbridge gave me a sympathetic look before standing a little straight clasping her wand in both hands. I glared at her never breaking eye contact. She took a breath before breaking her silence.

"Detention after class,"

"Your joking!" I jumped up from my seat.

"Ms Green sit down!"

"My name is Snape! Hayley Snape!"

"Ms Green detention after class,"

I threw my hands up and slumped into my chair. Quietly getting more angry with the toad faced witch. The lesson flew by cloaked by pure rage when the other student filed out I stalked into the toads office. Harry not far behind me. She sat us down, her office a sickly pink. We watched as she put five spoons of pink sugar into her tea. I grimaced that's way too much sugar. She stirred the tea before gently placing the spoon down and rising from her seat. The pink toad stood before us her head tilted slightly.

"You'll be writing lines... not with that quill mr potter with mine,"

"What are we writing," Harry asked as she placed quills on our desks

"You will be writing, I must not tell lies while Miss Green will be writing I will not protect half-breeds,"

"What no-"

"Miss Green I think it best you don't agree with me," Umbridge hummed

I looked around. There didn't seem to be a way out so I tentatively picked it up. We began to write a searing pain shot through my hand. I glanced down words had begun to slice into my flesh. I looked up then to Harry who had a similar look of shock, fear and pain across his features. I didn't know what to do so I decided to keep writing. Sooner I'm done the sooner I'm free.

After felt like hours Harry and I dragged ourselves out of her office and headed straight to Gryffindor tower. I Turned into my coyote form and slunk into Fred and George's dorm. Shifting back I turned the light on this woke them up. George was the first to reach me, I must look awful.

"Hayley what?"

"Umbridge," they shared a glance before guiding me to George's bed.

"I'll get Snape," Fred started

"Wait! No I don't want him knowing! Or Remus especially Remus," I said desperately. Fred froze halfway to the door slowly he returned to the bed. I showed them my hand and the bloody wound that read 'I will not protect halfbreeds'

"Oh Hayley..." George breathed,

"Does it hurt?" He asked still staring at the cut.

"Not so bad now, I just. Remus can't know,"

"Hey look here," Fred said tossing George a green looking sweet. George immediately downed it. His freckles suddenly changed colour and began to glow.

"It's our newest invention, constellation cosmetics!" George explained grinning sadly at me,