Chapter 66

Hayley's pov

I hesitantly stepped into Dumbledore's office following Harry. He had barely spoken a word to anyone other then me and I had barely spoken a word. We were the only ones who saw what happened. Only ones who saw Dumbledore fall. Only ones who heard the killing curse slip from my fathers lips. no one else truly understood.

Dumbledore's office was silent even the portraits didn't dare speak. Harry stood before the headmaster's desk. Slowly he pulled something from his pocket, he turned around and held it out to me. His face was emotionless. Carefully I took what seemed to be a locket from him. It was rusted and the image had faded.

"Thats what Dumbledore and I were looking for... I... I can't open it," He said simply his voice void of any emotion,

The locket made a small click as I opened it. There was a wadded up bit of paper inside. Gently I pulled it free and began to read the faded ink

"To the dark lord, I know I will be dead long before you read this, but I want you to know that it was I who discovered your secret. I have stolen the real horcux and intend to destroy it as soon as I can. I face death in the hope that when you meet your match you will be mortal once more. R.A.B,"

As I finished I looked up at my brother who stood there silently. I imagined we were both thinking the same thing. We must find R.A.B. He must have the real horcux. Harry suddenly spun round and strode passed me without any warning.

"Harry!" I called rushing after him.

Harry walked with determination through the castle. I was all but running after him through the halls. He led me into Gryffindor tower which seemed to be largely deserted. Hermione and Ron stood up from where they had been sitting on the couch. Harry took in a deep breath before he began talking.

"I-I need to finish what Dumbledore began... and I'm not coming back til I do. I will let you know where I am... when I can,"

"I've always admired your courage Harry but sometimes you really are thick. Do you really think you can find all those Horcuxes alone?" Hermione said giving Harry a very pointed but understanding look.

"You need us harry," she added leaning forward to meet his gaze.

Harry gave a small nod and silence fell over us again as we all took in the weight of the road ahead. Dumbledore is gone theres nothing left to stop deatheaters moving in on the school... the students will be in danger... the teachers may not be enough to protect us. I chewed the inside of my cheek. We need the Dumbledore's Army. Which means someone must stay behind. Someone has to help defend the school.

"I can't go," I whispered looking up at my brother and his friends. Harry shared a look which Hermione and Ron before approaching me a puzzled look on his face.

"Why not?"

"Someone has to stay here and lead Dumbledore's Army. Theres nothing left stopping the deatheaters from attacking,"  I explained feeling resolve take hold of my heart. I knew my path and alas it wasn't the same as Harrys though it looking back we had never walked the same path.

"She's right Harry," Hermione whispered,

That night Harry, Hermione and Ron left Hogwarts. That night Dumbledore's Army was reborn. I had set up a base in my old dorm before I had begun staying with Fred and George. Lavender and Parvati gave me odd looks but ultimately shrugged going back to their conversation. I penned two letters, one to George requesting a shipment of his most destructive products. The other went to Grimmauld place informing them of what transpired and what I planned to do. Now I must find recruits, Only those who are of age should be allowed to risk their lives. No first years. Harry let Colin Creevy join last time. Maybe Lavender and Parvati would be willing to join. I mean Lavender and Ron do have a history... surely that wouldn't affect her willingness to work with me. Well I mean I did up and leave the dorm randomly one day... they wouldn't be mad about that right? They haven't said one word to me and I've been sitting here nearly twenty minutes. Maybe they're waiting for me to say something first. Come on Hayley. Be brave. I turned around in my seat to face them.

"Hey Lavender? Parvati?" I spoke hesitantly trying to gain their attention.

"Yes?" Lavender responded eyeing me wearily,

"Would you be willing to join Dumbledore's Army again?" I said in a low voice,

They shared a puzzled and concerned look before turning back to me. Lavender crossed her arms over her chest raising an eyebrow at me. Oh merlin please let them say yes.

"Harry ran that last time," Lavender spoke in a very matter of fact way,

"He is currently finishing the mission Dumbledore gave him, He left me here to protect Hogwarts and reform Dumbledore's Army," I explained

I tried to not give to much away about Harry's mission. They shared another look Parvati nodded causing Lavender to roll her eyes.

"We're in," she sighed,

"And we can get some other gryffindors in our year to help!" Parvati added cheerfully,

"Thankyou that would be good," I responded

Relief washed over me, I nodded at them. An awkward silence swiftly overtook my relief and I hesitantly turned back to my planning. The silence lingered in the air fortunately it was shattered by a gentle knocking at the window. It was the owl I had sent to Grimmauld place. I immediately opened the window taking the letter.

Cub

I'm so sorry about Severus
But know he does love you as do I
You are so brave for wanting to fight
I wish I could deter you
I have a feeling you have too much Lily in you
So instead Know Dumbledore's Army has an ally
The Order of the Phoenix

Remus

"Whose that from?" Parvarti asked,

"Our first Ally,"