Chapter 29

Hayley's pov

How was he alive? Was it delayed? Jaime... she- she- she- it was instant. No no no. My heart sped up pumping adrenaline through my veins, waking up every nerve. It felt like An elephant was sitting on my chest. The edges of my vision were blurry that's when Severus came into view. He barked something at the class then turned towards me.

"Miss Green follow me now," he instructed I stood up and followed the room spinning slightly.

Once in the hallway Severus knelt before me. his hands hovered near my shoulders, the closest he could get to hugging me I suppose. My chest aches. His face was soft a stark difference to the cold look he had been giving me since the fight. he looked concerned and almost a little rattled. My breathing slowed as I focused on Severus's face. The lines and creases. The tiredness in his eyes, the faded almost invisible stains on his robes, he smelled of what I assumed were herbs and a hint of fire whiskey.

"Hayley? Are you alright?" His voice was low and comforting.

"Y-Yes,"

"What happened,"

"I don't- I don't know,"

"Im sorry if I caused this, it wasn't right of me to be so cold to you."

It wasn't his fault and I did know why it happened but how could I tell him I'm a murderer? And was so foolish I nearly murdered Remus? Severus Sighed running his hand down his face he made eye contact with me.

"Please no more lies, you have been avoiding me, undoing all the work I have done to keep you healthy and lying. Please Hayley tell me what happened," he took on what I imagined a fatherly tone was. I paled he wouldn't let this go and had he read my mind? How did he know I was lying?

"Hayley Green my office now,"

I looked at my shoes and headed straight for his office he didn't seem like he was in the mood for jokes or excuses. He looked more frustrated then the incident with the car, I cringed at the memory. How was I going to tell him? I'm an animagus I still had to register maybe he could help with that. A chill went up my spin the dungeons always had a cold draft. I reached for the door handle to Severus's office, whoosh, the door swung open before my skin had touched the knob. Magic still surprised me sometimes. I headed for my chair across from Severus's

What felt like years passed before I could hear Severus's footsteps echoing down the hall. He strode into the room his cape billowing behind him, rounding the desk he took a seat. He folded his arms on the desk, his face was unreadable with little creases being the only sign of emotion.

He stared me down. My eyes darted around looking anywhere but my fath- Severus. Everywhere but Severus. He was quite intimidating even though I had seen a softer side. the office was so silent you could probably hear a pin drop. I had begun to fidget in my chair and rubbing my hands. The pressure was getting to me, I had been holding my secret activities in for a month. Him looking at me like this wasn't helping. I was like one of those old kettles that whistle when they were boiling only someone had blocked the spout so all the steam was filling up inside me and I fear I may explode.

"You have been lying and avoiding me," Severus began, his voice was a little gentler then I had thought it would be. Suddenly I couldn't find mine and just sat there my jaw hanging slightly ajar.

"Tell me what happened," Merlin's breath I couldn't tell him

"I uh..." I trailed off, he raised an eye brow at me.

"I suggest refraining from anymore lies," he drawled,

I sighed and giving in. How could I tell the only person to care for me that I had taken such a risk? That I had nearly murdered someone? Again! How could I tell him I was a murderer. I knew I had to. Severus just wanted to help me.

"W-when I was little I had this friend and and this is before I knew about the curse," I started speaking, Severus sighed giving me a knowing look.

"She hugged me and and she... she,"

"I know Hayley its alright," Severus cut me off giving me that knowing look again after a moment of us sitting in silence he began to speak.

"As punishment for putting yourself in danger you will be eating dinner in here and sleeping in here tonight," I explained in my teacher voice. She smiled slightly nodding.

"You've undone all the work we did for your health," I tried to chastise unfortunately a small look of pride crept onto my face. My daughter was an animagus at 13

Severus's pov

After I made sure she was comfortable in the little make shift bed. I retired to my quarters. As I lay in bed thoughts of the day flooded my mind. Hayley was an animagus... she turned into an animagus, alone, at 13. My god she really is James's blood only a Potter could do something this stupid. She babbled out an explanation of how she wanted to help a friend. Of course she is Lily's daughter brave and helpful with no sense of self preservation. I tried to not think about all the ways this could've killed her instead I focused on the fact that today was the most contact I had had with her since she began this ridiculous endeavour. Her image flashed in my mind She had clearly lost weight and had bags under her eyes. I sighed, a wave of guilt over took me. I should've intervened sooner. I vowed to never let her health deteriorate this much ever agin under my care. She is for all intense and purposes my daughter.