Chapter 49

Hayley's pov

Remus stood over me wand drawn. A snarl on his lips I scrambled to my feet retrieving my wand. Remus was still glaring at the unmoving deatheater. I've never been more relieved to see my godfather. Another explosion sounded in the distance, Remus glanced over in the direction of the sound. he crouched down looking me over. He made eye contact with me, a look of seriousness across his features. The last time he looked this serious was when I got hurt during a prank back in my third year. If anything I think he looked even more serious and more protective.

"Hayley I want you run. Don't stop running til your at Grimmauld place. Severus is waiting for you," Remus instructed me, my eyes widened. I couldn't leave. Im so sorry Remus. I can't

"The others-" i tried to reason with him but he cut me off
"No Hayley, let the order do our job," He snapped gesturing in the opposite direction to where the explosion was coming from. I looked between him and where I was meant to run.

"I'm sorry Moony," I murmured, I turned on my heels and sprinted towards where the explosion had come from.

"Hayley!" He called after me.

I could hear his footsteps behind me but I wasn't stopping. The sounds of spells being cast reached my ears. The battle must already be underway. Remus was still calling my name, his voice sounded scared. There was an opening in the wall where the light of the spells was coming from. Rounding the corner I was met with the back of a deatheater.

"Flipendo!"

The yellow light collided with the deatheaters back sending him spinning through the air. He landed face first into the dirt. Oh Merlin. I just knocked a deatheater down. I raised my wand trying to think of another spell to cast. The deatheater slowly dragged himself to his feet. Spell Hayley, think of a spell. The deatheater slowly raised his wand. Any spell! Hayley any spell!

"Expelli-"

"Confringo!" Remus's voice yelled. A red light shot over my head colliding with the deatheater who exploded into a small ball of fire. I turned to face my godfather who had a down right murderous look.

"Hayley run. Now." He ordered,

"No,"

"Hayley please- Finite Incantartum!"

I spun round just in time to see his counter curse connect with a red light. Movement out of the corner of my eye caught my attention. Turning my gaze to the movement I locked eyes with a deatheater. His wand aimed at Remus. Raising mine quickly casting the first spell I could think of.

"Obscuro!" A magical red blindfold coiled around the deatheaters head he raised his hand pointing his wand at himself. No doubt to use a counter spell.

"Confringo!" I yelled,

The deatheater exploded. Good thing I'm a fast learner. Remus looked like he was about to say something when another deatheater approached us slinging curses. We both deflected each spell, every time Remus moved to deflect the spells that hurtled towards me. I slung spell after spell at the deatheater he kept blocking them. Occasionally I'd cast a stunning spell towards nearby deatheaters who had their backs turned. Remus was vicious, firing powerful curses at any death eater who stepped to close to us.

"Obscuro! Expelliarmus! Bombardia!"

He fired spells in quick succession at the death eater in front of us. Each one hit, first blindfolding him then disarming him then finally causing him to explode. Remus was terrifying in a duel. We turned our attention to the next nearest deatheater. I raised my wand.

"Aqua Eructo!" A jet of water shot out of my wand knocking the deatheater into the wall behind him with a loud thud.

Suddenly, A bright red light illuminated the battle field. I turned my eyes to where it came from. The light collided sped towards Sirius and Harry. The light connected with Sirius. A scream ripped through my throat as I watched him fall back into an archway. My mind was racing. I didn't even notice that the deatheater had stood back up and had raised his wand. Aiming at me.

"Hayley!" Remus cried out.

I spun around just as Remus blocked a spell from hitting me. Another scream ripped from my throat as a pale blue light hit Remus square in the chest. Remus fell to the floor unmoving.

The deatheater began to laugh. He removed his mask, his face was slightly misshapen, his string like hair hung like spiderwebs in front of his face. His teeth were rotting and pointed. I looked down at Remus's unmoving form. I couldn't even see the rise and fall of his chest. Tears started dotting my eyes. Was he dead? Was he alive? Was he hurt? So many questions flew through my mind. The death eaters laughing echoed in my mind. The sadness was overwhelming. Remus was... because of him. Slowly I raised my wand to the death eater. Tears lined my eyes and the crushing weight of grief hit me. My grip on my wand loosened. It rolled out of my grip falling to the floor. The deatheater stalked towards me, laughing the whole time. I lowered my arm staring blankly into the soulless eyes of the deatheater. He was so close now I could feel his breath on my face. His wand pressed painfully into my throat. This was it I was going to die. Remus's smiling face flashed in my mind. If I was going to die the death eater was coming with me. Suddenly I threw my hand up my palm grassed the death eater's side. A bright green light engulfed us.

Thud. Thud.