Chapter 6

I'd like to thank LexiMalfoy999 for inspiring me to return to this book

Severus's pov

I sat at my desk waiting for the dunderheads to enter my classroom, Gryffindor and Slytherin potions. oh joy. Today I was going to teach them a fairly simple pain relief potion. It's not overly complicated however I did not have high hopes for my class. Especially with the growing rivalry between the two houses. A rivalry that seemed to be interrupting most classes this year. My mind drifted to a certain green haired student, Hayley didn't seem too talented in the art of potions, a deficit I imagine she inherited from James Potter. However I had heard from other teachers she is talented in wizarding literature and charms. unlike most students she had been seen performing magic outside of class. I
She seemed quite reluctant to let go of her muggle ways.

The students begin filing in and sit down. There was a clear divide between gryffindor and slytherin. With a sigh I rose from my seat and flicked my wand. The instructions began to appear on the chalkboard. I crossed my arms, looking out over the students. They were not quietening down at all. If anything they were getting louder. Hayley was sitting at the back She shot angry looks at Malfoy who once more seemed to be acting like a git. I will need to have a meeting with Minerva regarding the rising tensions. However right now I'm regaining control of my classroom.

"Ten points from Gryffindor for disruptive behaviour," I snapped, this quickly shut them up..

"And ten points from Slytherin Thankyou Mr Malfoy..." I growled, the look Hayley gave me was almost grateful. She had dark circles under her eyes. She looked tired incredibly so. I wondered if she had been sleeping alright? I instructed the class to begin the potion, I sat at my desk and began to mark 3rd year papers. Horrible, terrible, passable, horrible, awful, perhaps- CRASH. My head flies up and Mr Finnigan was covered in ash and bits of cauldron shrapnel. Hayley had ducked down as she was next to Mr Finnigan, I wanted to throttle the boy. How did he manage to endanger himself and Hayley with a simple pain reliever? I strode towards their table. Standing over Mr finnigan I gave him a withering stare.

"Clean up Mr Finnigan," I hissed,

Shaking my head in disapproval, I watched as he glumly began to clean himself and his desk up. Once satisfied with his effort, I turned in my heels and returned to my desk to continue my marking. Passable, how is this person even functioning? This student completely made up his paper. I rub my forehead, my eyes glance up at Hayley who is sweating and seems to be quite stressed. Rising to my feet I moved towards her instinctively, I found myself beside her desk. Looking over her shoulder, her desk was a mess. Her textbook and notebook were covered in ingredients. Some ingredients lay abandoned on the floor.

"What's the problem Miss Green?" I said. I straightened my back, my hands clasped behind my back.

"I don't understand," she mumbled defeated, she looked up at me eyes wide pleading for help. My heart cracked, she looked so desperate. A part of me wanted to smile and hug the girl, she had reached out to me for help, even if it was just about potions. it's progress. I took the ladle from her and promptly fixed the potion right up, all she had to do was stir counter clockwise. it turned the deep purple as it was supposed too. I had explained everything to her, where she went wrong, how to fix it. I watched her scribble in her notebook as she took detailed notes of it all. She had a small smile on her face which warmed my hardened heart even more.

Hayley's pov

I small smile spread across my lips, it was like all the puzzle pieces clicked in my brain. While it was still only one basic potion, it meant so much more to me. I finally understood a potion. I look up at my professor, he was leaning against my desk. he had a soft look in his eyes he didn't have that look with Hermione. For a moment I wondered if this is what it was like to have a father help me with my homework. I shook my head dismissing any thoughts of him caring and of fathers. I was not going to get attached I reminded myself. He was careful not to enter my personal space, which I appreciated that so much. That allowed me to relax a little bit more in his presence. Professor Snape seemed like the only completely sane person I'd seen at this school, well it is for witches and wizards I pointed out to myself.

"Thankyou," I murmured to my professor,