Chapter 75

I am quite sorry for the last chapter but don't worry its almost over. Next chapter is the epilogue.

Hayley's pov

My tears had dried but my sorrow had only grown in strength. I can't bring myself to leave my fathers embrace. My mouth was dry and my face puffy. My father was dead. Sunlight had begun crept into the shed around us. I don't know how long I've been in here. I don't know who else survived.

My mission. The last thing my father had instructed me to do. With my last bit of strength I pulled myself up to a sitting position. Weakly I raised my wand I summoned my patronus and sent it to my brother. I watched it leave the shed. My wand fell from my grip clattering onto the floor. I did it Severus. I completed the task. I finished your mission. Please forgive me for taking so long. I rested my hand on Severus's still chest. A new wave of tears filled my eyes. This time they were not followed by loud sobs. Only a numbness that started in my chest. It slowly stretched across my body. I was drowning in it.

Suddenly I was violently dragged back to reality. the door had been flung open. It smacked against the wall. Remus stood in the doorway. He was disheveled and covered in dirt. I can't imagine I looked much better.

"Oh Cub... I'm so sorry," Remus murmured,

He knelt down beside me. My gaze fell back to Severus's cor- back to Severus. Remus reached over and closed my fathers eyes. He murmured what sound like a solemn apology.

"Are you hurt?" Remus asked gently,

I shook my head,

"Your hair-"

"The curse is broken," I whispered,

Immediately Remus engulfed me in a tight embrace he cradled my head against him. He rested his chin on the top of my head. I could hear his heartbeat. Thump. Thump. Thump. it was steady and unending.

"We have to get back to the castle cub its not safe," Remus said softly

"No, No! I won't leave him here," I snapped,

"Cub-"

"No!"

"Im sorry," Remus murmured

Remus tightened his grip. I felt myself being pulled through a vacuum. No. Apparation. No. No. No. Severus. I hit the ground pulling free of Remus's grip. My hands hit the cracked stone of the courtyard. No. I turned towards Remus enraged. I let out a scream and lunged at him.  He caught my wrists. He held them gently but firmly. Thrashing I yelled at him.

"Take me back to him! Take me back to him!"

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry Hayley- Hayley, Hayley! Stop! its not over,"

Wrestling me Remus turned so I was facing the bridge. Where the death eaters were approaching. Where the army was approaching. I froze. My mind drew a blank the rage I once had evaporating. Students staff and order members flowed out of the great hall watching the army approach. My eyes darted around. I saw Hermione, Ron, The Weasleys, George but where was? Oh merlin no. Fred. I leaned against Remus not confident I would be able to keep standing. Voldemort was at the front of the pack.

"Harry Potter is dead!" He yelled

"No!"

Ginny ran forward but was stopped by arthur. Thats when I saw Hagrid... carrying Harry. My ears started to ring I gripped Remus's sleeve. Severus. Fred. lavender. Harry. how much more would Voldemort take? My head felt light. I just couldn't believe it. This had to be some awful nightmare.

"Join us," Voldemort hissed,

No one moved. I felt Remus tighten his grip. There was a rustle of movement. Neville stepped forward. The death eaters began to laugh. Neville wasn't. He wouldn't. He was a good person. I was sure Remus was the only thing keeping me on my feet now.

"Whats your name boy,"

"Neville Longbottom,"

More laughter. It was insidious. The cackles shook my bones. I watched Neville suck in a breath he began to speak. His voice grew in strength with each word. It was a confidence I had never heard from him.

"Harry's gone, people die every day. but that doesn't mean they are gone, Tonks, Fred, Harry all of them. Harry's heart beat for us all of us. He won't die in vain but you will because you are wrong!"

Neville pulled the sword of Gryffindor from the sorting hat. Death eaters began to fire spells and turn to black smoke. Everyone began to retreat Remus tugged me towards the great hall. A shield rose from the ground shielding us. I pulled out my wand just as I did I heard a yell and Neville went flying.

"Keep close," Remus whispered,

I did as he said. we moved through the hall firing spells at the deatheaters. Remus and I were quickly backed into a corner by two wizards. One with blond hair another with brown hair. The blonde snarled at me and cast a bolt of green light towards me. I yelped raising my wand blocking the curse. Remus was thrown back against the wall.

"Stupefy! Obscuro! Confringo!"

Quickly I cast the spells in succession at the blonde death eater, he managed to block the first two but unfortunately not the final spell. I whirled around and cast a water charm at the deatheater encasing him in a ball of water. Releasing the sphere the deatheater fell to the floor. I pointed my wand at him once more.

"Reducto!" I yelled, With both attackers gone Remus turned to me panting.

"You'd make a good auror," he snorted, suddenly his eyes widened "Hayley watch out!"

"Crucio!"

I turned around just in time to see George collapse to the floor. He convulsed screaming. the death eater just laughed. No. No more. I pointed my wand at him.

"Sectumsepmra!"

Blood seeped through the deatheaters clothes. He released the curse stumbling backwards. I fell to my knees beside george. He was gulping air. Shivers wracked his body. he pulled himself up to a sitting position. Remus was the first to speak.

"You jumped in front of an unforgivable for her," he said in utter disbelief,

"I know," George panted,

"You bloody idiot," I scolded him, I helped pull him to his feet.

"Hang in whys your hair brown? And why am I not dead," George asked checking himself to see if he was dead,

"Curse is broken," I grinned

Suddenly Everyone was rushing out to the courtyard. We shared a confused look and followed the crowd. The moment I crossed the threshold of the courtyard. A deafening cheer erupted around me. Around us people were hugging and laughing. George sprinted over to his family and Remus began to laugh. He picked me up and spun me around. It was over? Was it really over? Remus hugged me tightly and kissed my forehead. My eyes darted around looking for Harry. I saw him across the courtyard. I pulled away from Remus and sprinted towards him. I threw my arms around Harry. He caught me laughing

"He's dead! I did it! Please tell me you saw it!" Harry exclaimed,