Chapter 5

Hayley's pov

The dormitory was buzzing with excitement, torn wrapping lined the floor. I sat between the twins staring at my hands refusing to make eye contact with anyone. Christmas is always so awkward. No owl would be dropping any parcels or letters off for me. It's so awkward when people ask me what I got. I'd prefer if no one would talk to me-

"Hayley!" Harry exclaimed sprinting over to me. Damn... I tried to compose myself. He was holding an open parcel with some fabric in it.

"Yes harry?" I gave him a strained smile, forcing my lips into a thin line. I could feel Fred and Georges eyes looking at us.

"Look it's a cloak," he said pulling the fabric out of the box holding it up to the light. I raised an eyebrow, this is what he wanted for talk to me about. A cloak?

"A cloak?" I repeated, trying to look interested in the piece of fabric harry was proudly displaying.

"An invisibility cloak," he corrected me, I scoffed surely that's not a thing.

"Bollocks," Fred exclaimed.

"It's true!" He said wrapping his cloak around himself,

my jaw dropped... I blinked a few times no I wasn't imagining things he was really just a floating head. Really none of this should surprise me anymore. I am in a magic school after all. I opened my mouth to say something but Harry grinned turning around and calling Ron. He ran over to his friends. Before I could even respond.

"Bye Harry," I mumbled, watching him run off. Fred and George glared at harry before they shared a look over my head.

"It's ok Hayls," George said trying to comfort me,

"Don't pay that prat any attention!" Fred added, I gave them both a sad smile

I excused myself, I just wanted to get to bed, I quickly walked up to my dorm and collapsed onto my bed clutching the cotton sheets. I let out a silent scream into the mattress before rolling onto my back, my legs dangling off the edge of bed. my dorm mates rarely come to our dorms unless it was passed 10pm so I'd be alone for a while.

My mind began to wander reliving the passed few months. My world had changed so much. I'd made two new friends, found a brother, found out I'm a witch and fought an ogre. My life sounds like a novel.

My interactions with Professor snape flashed in my mind. he seemed to care about me. It had been a while since I'd had someone care about me. well Jamie did but she- she... I let out a sigh, my thoughts shifted to Harry he often seemed preoccupied Though I sound I'm the sister he had dreamed off.  Since Jaime died I've learnt to live without hugs or physical contact. A part of me still wants a hug. Just once. I laugh bitterly, that will never happen. I looked around the blank empty room, I was alone. A feeling I was all to familiar with. I allow myself one moment to feel lonely, to wish for a normal life, to wish for my brother to bond with me, to long for a father, to long for a hug. A solitary tear rolls down my cheek as I move to pull the pillow under my head.

Sunlight warmed my face. I let out a groan peaking out from behind my eyelids. It's morning. With a sigh I drag myself out of bed, My dormates were snoring gently, they must've snuck in after I'd fallen asleep. I walked into the bathroom, brush my tangled hair, brush my teeth. I stared at my reflection, I pushed my cheeks up, Merlin I looked terrible. I throw on my red and gold robes, I quickly walked to the great hall for breakfast. The hall is relatively silent, no teachers are there yet and only a few students are scattered across the dining tables. I took my place at the Gryffindor table, I reached for an apple I wasn't too hungry this morning.

"Miss Green take more then just an apple," I hear a deep monotone drawl,

"Why, professor," I sighed out

"Because it's my job to make sure your well fed," professor snape responded with a slightly softer tone,

"Why?" I said with confusion evident in my voice. He paused before responding, with hesitation? In his voice?

"I'm your f- professor," I raise my eyebrow at his comment. What was he going to say?

Severus's pov

I nearly said I was her father... Merlin what's wrong with me. I don't even view myself as her father. I shook my head focusing on Hayley instead of my slip up. Is she not eating properly? I walked away from her towards the teachers table. With the increasing levels of worry I feel for her would cause me to be grey before my time, I dislike all these new emotions. I worry about her, what if she is in harms way? What is wrong with me? I sat at the teachers table and placed two eggs some bacon and toast onto my plate. I kept an eye on Hayley from my seat, Her green hair makes her easy to spot. I watch her eat some toast I had to fight a smile as I watched her listen to me. A feeling of pride swelled in my chest.

"She is beautiful," I nearly jumped out of my skin at Dumbledores voice. I wanted to glare at him but I simple nodded in agreement he isn't wrong.

"She seems to be warming up to you Severus," Dumbledore hummed. my eyes flitted towards Hayley,

"I suppose," I hissed,