Chapter 71

We are getting close to the battle of Hogwarts I'm getting quite scared if I am being honest lol I have had that battle planned out for ages. Are you guys scared too?
Hayley's pov

"I'm-I'm so sorry," My father hung his head, "Ever since Lily-"

"Dad you don't have too,"

"No Lion I have too,"

He sucked in a breath closing his dark eyes. My heart was pounding, he rarely spoke of my mother. I didn't know what he was about to say. Severus hands balled into fists gripping the blanket.

"Ever since Lily I thought love was just something the world would use to hurt you, weaken you. Then I met you. I grew to care, see you as my daughter. Even then I thought you were my weakness, a weakness I was happy to have. These past months... I-I was wrong. I have never felt so weak as when I thought I had lost you. Its more then I could bare. you have become my strength. I am so sorry that I made you doubt me and my love for you,"

Once he finished his monologue tears had filled my eyes. Covering my mouth with my hand. All I could see on my fathers face was raw uncontrolled emotion. A few tears dropped onto my cheeks. His eyes widened and his mouth hung open slightly.

"Why is herbology a Slytherins favourite subject... its in the green house," Snape winced as he spoke,

Watery giggles tumbled out of me. I clutched his cloak that he had wrapped around me. He chuckled with me smiling softly. For a moment I forgot about the war and the Carrows. For a moment it was like it had been before. Severus flicked his wand sending a patronus down to the kitchens. A few moments later a house elf appeared with two plates. Severus handed one to me and held onto the other.

"Eat I know you have been avoiding the great hall," Dad instructed,

Severus's pov

She smiled at me and began eating. I had felt so hollow without her. Now she is here again with me eating dinner. Like these past months hadn't happened. The memory of her being tortured flicked into my mind. My heart contracted painfully. I am going to need to hide that memory in my pensive. Alongside with the one of her in the chamber of secrets.

"Thank you dad," She mumbled between bites,

"You're welcome Lion,"

She patted the spot beside her on the couch. Chuckling I stood up and sat beside her. I felt my heart swell as she began to talk about something she had learned in a charms book.

Hayley's pov

"Thats all for today," I said dismissing the students,

I watched the students filed out. Turning on my heels I approached the mirror. I gazed at every photo we had all hung there. My eyes lingered on the image of Severus. My father had been teaching me spells to pass along to the Dumbledore's Army. Advanced spells. Things that could truly combat Deatheaters. My fathers words keep echoing in my mind. He has been through this before. War was new for me but not for hi

'Something is coming Lion'

Practically overnight the school had been abuzz. A few weeks ago Harry had been spotted at the Ministry of magic. the Carrows have been in an uproar. The sighting however nearly doubled the recruitments for the army. Harry gives people hope. A rare commodity these days.

'As long as you have hope, tomorrow will be better then today'

"What could possibly be worse then the present,"

"Giving in to melancholy? You truly are Severus's daughter,"

I whirled around to see a wolf patronus standing behind me... Remus. Practically throwing myself forward I landed harshly on my knees before the wolf.

"Moony," the word felt warm and familiar on my tongue,

"Cub, I've missed you. You've grown," The wolf said,

I laughed despite myself. Emotion swirled in my chest. I reached out to touch the wolf's face. My fingers were met with no resistance and slipped through the delicate strands of magic. My heart ached as I pulled my hand away clutching it tightly to my chest. I was overwhelmed by unrecognisable emotions.

"I don't have long but I wanted you to know, I'm ok, I love you and I'm ok,"

His voice was warm and sweet. It brought a sense of comfort. Spreading a feeling of warm safety throughout my chest. Muddying the storm raging inside me.

"Remus I-I... its bad here... really bad,"

"Change is coming Cub, change is coming,"

"When?"

The word came out small and broken. The wolf was silent for a moment before letting out a long sigh. I stared into its eyes a feeling of desperation washing over me. I-I need this. I need to know. When is this over? When can I go home. Not just to spinners end but home. The place where the two people who love me most are bickering over how many blankets is too many and what qualifies as breakfast food. How I miss the 'she's by daughter well she is my goddaughter' arguments. When will that happen again? When will we all be together again?

"Soon cub thats all I can tell you, but know you are so very loved and no one can take that from you," Remus said

Slowly the wolf faded away. I grabbed at the delicate magic tears freely cascading down my face. No. No. No. No. Falling forward onto my hands a torrent of emotion pushed me down. Everything was so wrong. Why was this happening? Why? After hearing Remus's voice I longed for her family even more. I longed for quiet mornings. I longed for home. For Remus. For Severus. For Spinners end. For my life before the war. The ache and homesickness was tearing me apart. Pushing me into a hole that I don't know how I will ever climb out of.