Chapter 19

A/N Comment your thoughts below, Your the best readers on Wattpad!

Hayley's pov

Slowly consciousness filled my mind flickering in and out. My vision was black. The smell of disinfectant and potions reached my nose. Suddenly a sharp pain stabbed my skull. Letting out a groan I rolled onto my side. I could hear a light snore to my right other then that the room was silent. a scratchy blanket was rubbing against my arms, causing an infernal itch to take over my arms. Kicking my feet I managed to free myself from the blanket. My head was throbbing now. slowly I opened my eyes before squeezing them shut. the room was really bright, it blinded me. I opened them again squinting until my eyes adjusted. I turned my head to my right to find out who was creating the snoring, it was Severus who was snoring. His hair was dishevelled and he was fast asleep in the chair beside my bed.

"Severus?" my voice was strained and scratchy. He stirred before his eyes flew open immediately, I noticed the dark bags under his sunken eyes. his dark eyes connected with mine, for a moment I thought he blinked back tears.

"Hayley? How do you feel?" he spoke, concern evident in his deep monotone.

"Water?" he nodded summoning a glass it floated towards me, I took it out of the air and began gulping the water down.

"Small sips you'll get a cramp," he instructed gently.

I nod taking smaller sips. Severus waved his wand, a plate of Sausages and pasta landed in my lap. no carrots. I slowly began to eat the food, Severus's gaze never left me.

"How long was I out?" I asked between bites,

"four days,"

"how long have you been here?" I asked hesitantly,

"four days,"

I choked on my food, he never left? he stayed? I wasn't alone? tears lined my eyes as I thought about how he cared enough to stay with me. He d to care right? Is that what this meant? He cares about me? my tears seemed to alarm Severus as he gently sat on the edge of my bed worry etched on his tired features.

"Hayley what's wrong?" his voice was so soft, he spoke as if his words could shatter me. And honestly, they did, tears dripped down my face.

Severus's pov

She is crying... she is crying! Lily, what do I do? is she hurt? I can't see any injuries Pomfrey said she would be fine, whats wrong? what do I do? I racked my brain for what my mother used to do when I cried for no obvious reason. I had no memory of her ever comforting me the way I wanted to comfort Hayley. Lily what would Lily do? she comforted me many times what did she do? she would try to make me laugh.

"what do you call it if a wizard gets robbed by a muggle... muggled(joke from https://www.scarymommy.com/harry-potter-jokes/)" I awkwardly tried to joke, hayley looked at me and let out a watery laughed.

"was that a joke?" she asked giggling, I let out a small chuckle.

"An attempt,"

her tears seemed to have stopped, it appeared my attempt at a joke had succeeded. I had had my doubts about my abilities as a father but perhaps I wouldn't be so bad. in two days the term ended and I would begin my preparations.

"Do your recent potions grade I suspect some summer homework would be prudent," I said, her face lit up.

"Yes please Severus!" she smiled.

the doors to wing opened revealing Potter. he made a beeline to his sister's bedside. I rose from my place and moved to discuss her discharge with Pomfrey while the siblings caught up. Pomfrey was sorting potions in the back room of the wing.

"Pomfrey how long til Miss Green can be released?" I drawled,

"She can be released after Mr Potter leaves,"

"Good Good," I looked back at her.

"Your good with her," Pomfrey hummed, I shot her a glare,

"Now Severus don't glare at me! we all see the way you are with her!" She grumbled pointing an accusatory finger at me. I brushed her off.

"she is a good student,"

"who needs summer homework," Pomfrey raised an eyebrow at me,

"She needs extra assistance in Potions its a fine art one that requires practice,"

"mhm,"

I scowled turning on my heels flicking my cloak so it bellowed behind me as I skulked out of the wing and headed to the dungeons.

Hayley's pov

I laughed as Harry told me of the pranks and fun I'd missed over the last four days. Fred and George had been busy. He told me about Dobby and Mr Malfoy i snorted out A laughed upon hearing that.

"that's brilliant!" I chuckled,

"Wish you were there for it, that was a good charm at Lockhart though!" Harry exclaimed,

"if only I'd dodged that rock," I joked,

he let out a loud laugh. It was nice. This. Harry and I. We weren't as close as I'd like. Which is mainly my fault I haven't made the effort. It was so hard he was my brother yet we were at best, friends and at worst, strangers. Why was it so hard? I glanced down at my hands. This was nice. us joking laughing but even now we seemed like nothing more then friends.

"everyone is packing for the summer, can't believe the year is over," Harry sighed,

"its been an eventful year,"

a silence fell over us, I thought about everything that had happened. the car, spiders, snakes, terrible teachers... Hermione. Hermione! my eyes widened.

"Hermione! how is she? and Colin!" I exclaimed in a panicked tone.

"she is ok they all are," Harry reassured me.

a weight was lifted from my shoulders, Hermione was ok. the curse hadn't got her. she was ok. everything was ok. Harry's eyes widened and he reached into his pocket. He brandished a letter and handed it to me. I gave him a very puzzled look.

"Fred and George had one last detention but George wanted me to give you those," Harry explained.

I opened the letter and was met with Georges messy scrawl.

Hayls!
By the time you read this I'll probably have left.
I'm so sorry about that!
I did visit you every day while you were out.
Professor Snape kept chasing me away,
Anyway hope your feeling better,
Don't be afraid to write!

Yours
George