Chapter 21

A/N comment your opinions and reactions down below! love hearing my readers thoughts! also feel free to check out my original work 'Captain's Lass'

Hayley's pov

I stared at Professor Lupin my mouth agape. my godfather? I had a godfather... I have always had a godfather, then why was I at the orphanage? why couldn't he have kept me? Did we not want me?I stood up swaying a little bit Professor Lupin and Harry reached out to steady me. I grabbed my suitcase and fled the room. confusion flooded by mind. I nearly barrelled into George I was so eager to get to the trains doors.

"Hayls? Are you ok?" George asked as I hurried past him,

"Green!" Fred exclaimed as well.

Their words fell on deaf ears I made my way towards the nearest exit. Most of the students were still in their compartments so the entryway of the train was basically a ghost town. Hogwarts isn't far so I stood in front of the doors. a few silent moments passed. The silence was interrupted by footsteps. Professor Lupin stood beside me looking out the same window I was. I watched the countryside rush by, the hills and valleys were a vibrant green. My gut twisted and turned. the silence was incredibly uncomfortable.

"are you alright," he asked his voice warm, gentle and oddly familiar. Though I was certain we had never met before.

"Fine," I mumbled, he let out a tired sigh,

"the dementor, I mean," he clarified

I assume he assumed I was still processing the other information, what was I feeling about the dementor? It was a terrifying creature. The cloak that thinly veiled it's dried shrunken face. The screams echoed in my mind, the woman's scream was filled with pain and fear. The man's cry was filled with sheer anguish.

"who screamed," I spoke suddenly, he gave me a puzzled look,

"no one screamed Hayley," his voice laced with concern, he turned his head to look at me.

"I heard a woman scream then a man cry my name,"

Professor Lupin let out another exhausted sigh, sympathy in his eyes. he looked as if he was physically pained by the thought of whatever was running through his head.

"Harry heard the woman's scream... it was Most likely Lily your mother," Professor Lupin explained solemnly. My mothers name was Lily? Lily Potter...

"who was- who was the man," I whispered,

"I suppose myself,"

the train jerked as we pulled into the Hogwarts station. the train slowed to a stop. Professor Lupin grabbed my luggage and his own. I gave him a confused look he only offered a smile in response. he stepped off the train pulling both our trunks. I followed him off the train, he stood on the platform.

"Hayley Green!" Fred and George exclaimed bounding over to me. George grabbed my trunk which caused me to make a disgruntled sound. I can carry by bag.

"See you at the castle," Professor Lupin hummed. He waved to me before heading off in a different direction. His hands buried in his pockets.

We stepped off the boats at Hogwarts and made our way to the castle. Fred and George chattered about prank plans which earned a warning glare from Professor Mconagall as we entered the great hall. The feast was yet to begin. the teachers were standing around with a few students scattered across the four house tables. Fred and George ran off to meet the other early bird Gryffindors. I scanned the crowd for Severus. he was standing near Professor Lupin who seemed be having a nice chat with McGonagall. I rushed over to Severus a smile on my face.

"Professor Snape!" a ghost of a smile grew on his face,

"Hayley how was the ride," he spoke in his monotoned voice,

I grimaced. Severus raised an eyebrow at me. I forced my face to shift from a grimace into a smile. Last year he had been so worried, perhaps it would be best to not inform him of this years adventure-

"Hayley," he warned, He gave me a very stern look. I grimaced again lying to Severus suddenly didn't seem like a wise choice.

"The dementors attacked me and-"

"What?!?" Severus hissed, he looked me over as if searching for injuries.

"I'm fine Professor Lupin stopped it also appears he is my godfather!" I blurted out the last part.

Severus's pov

Dumbeldore summoned the food. Hayley smiled at me before running off to her seat. I turned on my heels and returned back the teachers seats. Lupin her godfather, Remus Lupin her godfather! oh lily why him? he is a werewolf what if he harmed her? If he was her godfather why was she in the orphanage? why didn't he adopt her? what if he wants to now?

Lupin approached me. I rolled my eyes as he approached with cautious steps.

"Severus I know we are not on the best terms but Mconagall tells me Hayley talks to you," he started,

"Yes get on with it," I drawled,

"What is she like, I want to get to know my goddaughter," he explained,

"then talk to her!" I snapped,

Hayley's pov

I stared at the ceiling in my dorm. Sleep was still not coming to me, I let out a quiet groan. i slipped out of the covers, Severus rarely minded if I slept in his office. the halls were cold and dark. i forgot shoes, the stones were ice against my bare skin. I had grown accustom to the rush of the dungeons cool draft a scuffling sound caught my attention. I spun around... nothing. probably a rat... does hogwarts get rats? scuffle I turned again... nothing... my heart began pounding against my ribcage. my hearts thudding echoed in my ears, scuffle, thud, scuffle, thud, scuffle, thud thud, scuffle, scuffle.

"Hayley?" a warm gentle voice said, I yelped whirling around to see Professor Lupin.

"Professor," I wheezed,

"what are you doing out at this hour?" he asked with so much concern in his voice I couldn't tell if he was scolding me or not.

"I couldn't sleep Professor Snape allows me to stay in his office," I explain, a twinge of pain flicked across Professor Lupin's face.

"Ill escort you there then," he spoke.

his wand lit the way as we travelled to Severus's office. Professor Lupin knocked of Severus's door. after a moment Severus opened the door dressed in tracksuit pants and a tee shirt. he raised his eye brow at Professor Lupin before noticing me. he stepped aside so I could enter.

"Thankyou Professor Lupin," I offered him a smile, Professor Lupin returned my smile looking at me fondly.

"No need to thank me and... how about you call me Remus when we arent in class,"