Chapter 74

Hayley's pov

I screamed. Lavender lay bloody on the ground a greyback standing over her. I raised my wand and cast confringo at him. The deatheater exploded.  My arm fell to my side. I stared heartbroken at my friends unmoving body. Willing her to get up. To move.

"Hayley we have got to move," Harry said blocking a spell intended for me,

Finish your fathers mission. I told myself. Sucking in a breath I nodded and followed after him. I gasped as a giant swung at us. We ducked behind a pile of rubble. The club pounced off the rocks. I ran out from behind cover. My brother, Ron and Hermione not far behind. we ran between its legs. Huge Spiders roared and stampeded towards us. I slung spells as fast as I could. Rushing past many familiar faces. We ran through two pillars away from the courtyard. Walls were crumbling around us. A swarm of dementors were charging the school. Blue light engulfed us. A patronus. I turned around. Was I seeing a ghost? Dumbledore? No he's dead. A man who bore a striking resemblance to Dumbledore stood behind us wand raised. I didn't have time to process this as Harry pushed on leading us to one of the boat sheds.

the sounds of the battle couldn't be heard here. I panted as we crouched down by the door. My heart was racing. I opened my mouth to relay the message to Harry. Before I could speak voices began to speak. I recognised both, one was Voldemorts and the other was... Severus's. I had the strong urge to rush in save my father but I knew that if I did he would definitely be killed. So I stayed there frozen listening to them talk.

We heard Voldemort send Nagini? Away. Harry closed his eyes and I held my breath. He opened them. Leaning closer he began to whisper to us.

"I think I can feel her I know where to go we have to find her," Harry stated,

Ron Hermione and Harry began to sneak away. I bit my lip. I couldn't. I needed to know Severus survived. Solemnly I shook my head at Harry. He sighed, I think he understood. Giving me one final nod. The trio escaped into the shadows. Leaving me alone with my back pressed against the wall.

"It will not fail you, I'm sure of it, it answers to you and you only," Severus said,

"Does it?"

"My Lord-"

"The wand does it truly answer to me? Your a clever man Severus. Surely you must know. Where does its true loyalty lie?"

"With you of course my lord," Severus responded,

I had no idea where this was going. Surely the wand answers to him look what he has done tonight? He tore down hogwarts defences. He has murdered many. Who else would it answer too?

"The elder wand cannot serve me properly because i am not its true master. The elder wand belongs to the wizard who killed its last owner," Voldemort explained

My throat closed up and my palms grew sweaty. I had a horrible feeling something was about to happen. Whats worse is I don't think I could stop it. I squeezed my eyes shut willing the tears away.

"You killed Dumbledore Severus," Voldemort started,

No. No. This isn't happening.

"Why you live the elder wand cannot truly be mine. You have been a good and useful servant Severus but only I can live forever," Voldemort continued.

to I have to do something. Why can't I move. No. No. This isn't happening. Please if theres a god. Stop this. Stop this now. Please.

"My lord-"

There was a thud against the glass. I let out a silent scream. Tears streamed down my face. I heard Voldemort gasp and roar in pain. A searing pain ripped through my head. I gripped my skull. Vaguely I heard Voldemort apparate away. Severus. I must save him. I have to- Staggering to my feet my mind clouded by pain. I burst through the door. The sight before me made me collapse to my knees. Severus was slumped against the blood stained glass. I stumbled over to him. My heart felt as if it had been ripped from my chest. My hands were shaking. merlin. What do I do? Severus looked up at me. He was so pale. There was so much blood.

"Hay-Hayley, Yo-ur hair. Its-its brown," Severus choked,

confusion joined my anguish hesitantly I picked up my hair. He was right the green was gone. My hair was brown. Like Harry's. Does that mean the curse? My eyes widened and without thinking I flung myself at Severus. Nothing. For a horrible moment I thought I had- that I- that he but then I felt an arm wrap around me. It pulled me closer against his chest. Something inside me broke and I let out a horrible gut wrenching sob. Merlin. God someone please! I could feel Severus's blood sticking to my skin and hair. My cheek rested against his heart beat. Thump. Thump. Thump. It was steady and comforting. Maybe my prayers had been answered maybe he was ok.

"Don't cry. Its- its ok," Severus coughed, "what- what do you ca-ll it when- when a wizard gets ro-robbed by a muggle... muggled,"

"I love you, Dad please don't go! Please! I need you!" I cried

"I love you too Lion,"

His grip tightened slightly before loosening. His heart beat slowed. Thump Thump... Thump..... Thump........Thump. Slowly his arm fell to the floor. I screamed. A gut wrenching throat tearing scream. I held his face. The light was gone from his eyes. His face was expressionless.A horrible whisper pushed its way into my grieving mind. Voldemort. I don't care what he has to say. All I care about is Severus.

"You have fought valiantly but in vain, I do not wish this every drop of magical blood spilled is a waste. Because of this I have commanded my forces to leave. Dispose of your dead with dignity,"

Its over. The battles over. In one day my whole world had been destroyed. In a single moment I lost everything. Sobs wracked my body as I hugged my father tightly. Someone. Anyone. Please. He can't be gone. He just can't.