Chapter 7

Hayley's pov

I was sitting in the common room curled up in an armchair studying the charms text book. I was enthralled in the chapter about the knock back jinx when I was interrupted by my brother sticking his head into the common room.

"Hayley," he whispered. He waved me over. he was wide eyed and white as a sheet. I closed the book clutching it to my chest, I got up followed him out of the tower. He threw the invisibility cloak over us. We walked through the dark corridors careful not to wake the portraits. We went up and down moving stair cases. The silence was deafening, every sound made me jump out of my skin. Finally after what seemed like years We stopped in an abandoned looking area of the castle. my mouth went dry we weren't meant to be here. We are going to die. It's a magic castle there had to be reasons we weren't meant to be here. We are so dead. I'm going to die. The room was empty other then an old mirror with a gold ornate frame. Harry removed the cloak and stood in front of the mirror. Hesitantly I moved to stand beside him. Looking at my reflection I noticed my green hair was gone and replaced with brown hair and professor snape? He was Standing behind me.

"What is this?" I whispered to Harry as he sat in front of the mirror and patted the spot beside him, I obliged.

"What do you see?" He asked me after a moment of silence,

"Myself with brown hair..." I murmured, Harry looked at me with a puzzled expression. He dropped the subject turning his gaze back to his reflection. my eyes never let the beaming face of professor snape. He looked proud? Happy? Why was he there? Was there a part of me that wished he was my father? I suppose. He showed an interest in me no one else had, he cared about me or at least he seemed too. I let out shaky breath as I finally admitted to myself that I had begun to see him as a bit of a father figure.

"I see Mum and dad," he said after another moment of silence,

We were silent again, this time the silence lasted for what seemed like hours. Professor Snape was happy and looked at me with pride. No one had ever looked at me with that before. Even if I had someone to look at me with pride, I'd never done much deserving of pride. The reflection was a jab to my heart, a reminder that I was alone and that this would never really happen. This wouldn't be true no matter how much I want it to be, Professor Snape would never see me like his daughter. My chest tightened, I never understood my longing for a father but it hurt, every other girl had one why couldn't I? I mean I do have a brother and the orphanage treats me fine, I'm grateful for that but I want a dad, I don't want to have to go back to that damn orphanage. It just wasn't fair.

"Harry, Hayley I see you've discovered the wonders of the mirror of erised," Dumbledore said causing me to jump,

"Many a man has withered away to nothing looking at what there heart truly desires," he explains further, I look up at the old bearded man.

"Return to your dorms," Harry and I turn to run back to our dorms but Dumbledore holds his hand up for me to stop,

"You should give Professor snape a Vist tomorrow I believe he would like to know about your little... outing," my brow furrowed at his statement. Why would Professor Snape want to know?

Severu's pov

A knock on my quarter's door awoke me, I throw my robe on and open the door to reveal Professor Dumbledore. He walked past me and takes a seat on my bed, I twitch slightly with an irritated sigh. Sometimes the old man drives me insane. He looked around taking his time to tell me of his reasons to give me a visit at well past 9:00pm. I tap my foot impatiently and my patience wears thin as Dumbledore pulls out a lemon drop and loudly unravels the plastic wrapping. He popped it in his mouth and sucked on it for a moment before swallowing the drop. He licked his lips,

"Spit it out," I snapped impatiently, my fatigue making me rather irritable. He lazily held his wand up and mumbled the accio charm. A goblet of water flew towards him, he took a long sip. Before sending the goblet back from whence it came.

"Apologies Severus for coming at such a late hour I just thought you'd want to be made aware of what Hayley has been up too with her brother-"

"What has the potter boy gotten her into," I drawled thinking back to the the incident with the troll and the worry from that night crept back into my heart.

"She found the mirror of erised," Dumbledore said nonchalantly,

"What?"

Hayley's pov

The next morning just after breakfast I wandered down to the dungeons. I wrung my hands nervously as I approached Professor Snape's door. Taking a deep breath I knocked on the door. It swung over to reveal a confused Professor Snape.

"May I come in?" I mumbled staring at my hands.

Professor Snape stepped aside allowing me to enter. I stepped into the office. The walls were a dark grey, lined with black wooden shelves. The shelves were stacked with books, bottles and jars. His desk was covered in stacks of paper and discarded quills. There was a chair on each side of the desk. he closed the door and sat down at his desk gesturing for me to sit in the other chair. I sat down an folded my hands in my lap.

"How can I help you Miss Green?" Professor Snape said with a monotone,

"I went to the mirror of erised last night. Professor Dumbledore told me to inform you," I mumbled, Professor Snape nodded slowly be leaned forward resting his forearms on the desk. His face was unreadable. Finally he opened his mouth to speak.

"Are you alright?" He gave me a sympathetic look. I nodded. He leaned back in his chair.

"That's all that matters," Professor Snape hummed,