Chapter 24

Severus's pov

Bang I let out a groan as I was dragged from my dreams bang where is that damn noise coming from. bang pounding sound seemed to be coming from my office door... at least I believed it was my mind was still fogged by sleep... bang Hayley bang... Hayley is still in my office, I haphazardly rose from my bed moving to open the door separating my quarters and my office. My movements slowed by grogginess. Slowly I pushed the door open. The room was exactly as I had left it. Hayley surprisingly was still asleep. A fond smile tugged at the corners of my lips. That girl would sleep through an ogre attack- actually I know what she'd do in a ogre attack. A scowl formed on my features at the memory of her beside the ugly brute.

Bang bang

The sound drew my attention to the door. right we have a visitor. I brandished my wand and opened the door to reveal a disheveled wild eyed Lupin. He was running a hand through his hair he looked almost startled at my sudden appearance but relief washed over his features at the same time.

"Severus I can't find Hayley-" I cut the man off,

"She is with me," I drawled rolling my eyes. His eyes widened and filled with desperation.

"Really? I have to see her," he breathed and moved to walk past me, I blocked his movement with my body.

"She is asleep Lupin,"

"She is my goddaughter I need to know she is safe!" He said raising his voice slightly. I suppressed an eye roll she is as good as my daughter. she is safe, otherwise I'd be working to make it so she will be safe.

"Moony?" A very drowsy Hayley called from her place on the couch.

I felt a small twinge in my heart as he brushed past me and headed straight to her side. Spoke comforting words to her she seemed to calm around him. My normally cold heart cracked under the weight of watching another man parent my daughter. She isn't my daughter yet, I reminded myself Perhaps I should put my adoption plans on hold... at least until I've spoken with Lupin himself.

Hayley's pov

"Scared me there Cub," he said kneeling beside me, my face flushed with guilt.

"Sorry Moony the crowds and Severus-"

"No need to explain I should've kept track of you better," Remus hummed smiling at me. He gazed at me for a moment more before He stood up and dusted himself off. He offered me another smile, he gestured to my pillow.

"Sleep Cub you'll need your rest for the coming months,"

I opened my mouth to protest but the look on my godfathers face said that probably was not the best idea. Instead I nodded laying back on the pillow offering a small smile to my godfather. He gave me his usual tired fatherly smile, My heart twisted. How I wished I was able to hug my godfather.

I closed my eyes, after a few moments of silence I heard Severus whisper to Remus. I only made out my name everything else was indecipherable. I heard the click of a door closing. I peaked from behind my eyelids, the room was empty. They must've stepped into Severus's quarters. I silently climbed out of bed and tip toed towards the door separating the office from Severus's quarters. Silence... silence... and more silence... Where were they? The hallway maybe? I tip toed towards the other door, I could faintly hear the voices of the two men wafting from the other side. I froze for a moment Perhaps I shouldn't be eavesdropping on Severus and Remus. I chewed the inside of cheek, Curiosity ate away at me. A little eavesdropping couldn't hurt right?

"Has Hayley mentioned any prospects of adoption?" I heard Severus's deep monotone drawl, this peaked my interest prospects of adoption? Why would he want to know? Are they're any prospects?

"Not to my Knowledge Severus," Remus sighed in response,

"What about yourself," Severus cleared his throat, there was a small pause. Those words seemed to hang in the air.

"I would love to adopt her... but a man in my condition shouldn't be a parent," Remus let out a tortured sigh. His condition? What's wrong with Remus? Is he sick? Is he gonna die? I can't lose him!

"Interesting," Severus said,

I heard shuffling... They are coming back! I sprinted back to the bed, I leapt into the covers. I squeezed my eyes shut and tried to even out my breathing. The door clicked open, there was a shuffling then silence. Severus's deep voice broke that silence.

"Eavesdropping is not very polite, forget everything you heard Hayley, you will know everything when the time comes," Severus spoke in a deep drawl.

I didn't respond or react to his words. How did he know if I would know or not. Even so what condition does Remus have? Why wouldn't he adopt me? Does he not want me? What condition would prevent him from wanting me.

"Anyone would be lucky to adopt you," Severus's words brought me some comfort. I wonder if he would consider himself lucky. Would he want to adopt me? No don't think about that Hayley, you know you won't be adopted no one wants older kids. My brain filled with a fog and my thoughts began fade replaced by a peaceful darkness.

I opened my eyes glancing around. This isn't Severus's office. Thats where I had been right? This room was tidy but still some what empty. The only mess seemed to be bundle of blankets I was under.

"Hayley! Breakfasts Ready!" A deep voice called,

The voice sounded so familiar. I slowly climbed out of the bed and followed the voice down a flight of stairs. I rounded a corner to reveal Severus  Placing two plates full of food next to each other on a large dining table. He looked up at me and smiled, a full real smile. He was dressed in Jeans and a T-shirt. He looked so relaxed.

"Come on, your foods getting cold,"