Chapter 65

This chapter broke my heart to write. Please tell me you guys were as upset as I was lol.
Hayley's pov

The sky was dark with storm clouds threatening bucket down upon Hogwarts. there was something ominous in the air. Thunder rolled over the mountains. I roamed the halls awaiting my brothers return. Harry had asked me to learn about Horcuxes and meet him at Dumbledore's office when he returned. He has been out with Dumbledore all bloody day. hunting for the twisted artefacts. I chewed the inside of my cheeks as I approached the corridor that housed The entrance to the headmaster's office. Draco Malfoy stormed passed me wand drawn.

"Move out of the way," he snapped in a shaky voice, his face contorted into a saddened scowl.

Draco Malfoy stormed up the stairs to the headmaster's office. That can't be good. Should I follow him? Harry had been concerned about Malfoy's loyalties... damn it. I threw a glance over my shoulder before hurriedly walking over to the stair well. Mumbling the password made my way up to the stairs. The lights were out, the office was near silent. The murmurs of voices floated down. When I neared the top I caught a glimpse of a pair of eyes that matched my own beneath the stairs... Harry. I knelt down and whisper called for him.

"Harry! What are you doing,"

"Dumbledore made me promise... Draco's up there!" He whispered back, I could see fear in his eyes. My heart was pounding. I glanced up at the final few steps... I had no fondness for Draco or Dumbledore but whatever was about to happen would be bad.

"Hayley what are you doing?" Harry whispered as I rose to my feet.

Silently I snuck up the stairs staying low. The voices grew clearer, Draco was whimpering out words and Dumbledore seemed as calm as ever. He seemed to be trying to reason with Draco. Poking my head over the top of the steps I took in the sight. Albus Dumbledore wand-less, Draco Malfoy pointing his wand at him. What should I do? What exactly is my duty of care in this particular situation? My heart was pounding pumping adrenaline through my veins. These questions rattled around in my brain, suddenly I felt like a scared eleven year old who was certain Dumbledore was going to kill her. Alone in an unknown situation which the chance of death looming. Only I wasn't eleven and I wasn't alone anymore.

A strong sense of resolve gripped my heart and I strode out of the shadows wand raised pointed at Mr Malfoy.

"Lower your wand," I said

My voice did not waver. Dumbledore immediately locked eyes with me. For the first time in six years of knowing this man, I saw surprise in his eyes. That almost gave me a sense of pride, I had surprised Albus Dumbledore. Draco looked at me with wide wild eyes.

"B-Bugger of-f S-Snape," Draco stammered his wand still aimed at Dumbledore,

"Expelliarmus,"

Red light shot from my wand and sent Draco's wand flying from his grip. His face contorted into one of pure fear as he looked at his now empty hand. I glanced at Dumbledore and he gave me a knowing look.

"Expelliarmus,"

Red light struck my wand sending it flying from my grip. My jaw dropped and I stared at my now empty hand. Slowly I turned around. Behind me stood my father his wand drawn. He was deathly pale and had dark circles under his eyes. He looked like a ghost. His face was unmoving as he turned so his wand was pointed at Dumbledore...

"Severus please," Dumbledore's words were solemn.

My brow furrowed why was he saying that? Severus was on our side-

"Avada Kedavra,"

My heart dropped to the pit of my stomach. I collapsed to the ground. A scream ripped from my throat. Time seemed to slow down. Dumbledore fell backwards. Severus lowered his wand. Draco sobbed. All I could think was this isn't real... this isn't happening, I watched the headmaster disappear from sight out the window. The ringing in my ears was replaced by Severus's voice.

"Hayley I-I I'm sorry, I love you,"

His words hit me like a ton of bricks bringing me crashing back to reality. I looked up at the man who had taken me in, the man who fed me and clothed me, the man who had loved me and cared for me, the man who protected me, the man who I called my father. His face was full of sorrow and pain. His mouth was slightly a jar like he had more to say to me. Instead he knelt down and held my wand out for me. Hesitantly I took it from him. Tears filled my eyes as he stood up.

"Don't go," My words sounded so broken,

"I will always be with you,"

He looked at me sadly, I opened my mouth to plead with him but the words wouldn't come out. I need him. I need him. He's my dad. I can feel him slipping through my fingers. He slowly walked backwards away from me. I reached my hand out for him and I swear I could hear his heart break. He flung his cloak and turned into a cloud of black smoke, disappearing out the window. My tears began to fall freely. I hugged my knees to my chest. Every changed... in a single moment my life had changed... and it would never be the same again. Faintly I heard explosions in the distance but I didn't care. I'm alone again.