Chapter 9

Severus's pov

Qurriell is not subtle at all. He must've jinxed potter. I walked from the quidditch pitch to the castle.

"Professor Snape!" I turn to see Hayley sprinting towards me, I slow my pace letting her catch up to me. She matched my pace and looked down at my robes specifically where the scorch mark was. I noted the worry on her face, worry for me and my wellbeing. Her expression reminded me of her mother. Lily has always been concerned with the well-being of others.

"I'm alright Miss Green," I drawled.

She offered me a half smile, I let a half smile tug on my lips. I was beginning to see more of the real Hayley. she was beginning to open up more and more. she had such a sweet disposition, she could be a little shy at times. I had been asking the other professors about her, she's quiet in most classes. She had been seen hanging around the Weasley twins mostly. every so often when she did engage with a professor in a seemingly normal conversation. Conversations where she usually talked about charms or History of magic.

"Miss Green I hear History of magic is your favourite class?" I spoke with a monotone, glancing at her from the corner of my eye. Her eyes lit up.

"It is, I used to read a lot back at the orphanage about muggle history and I'm also quite good at Charms," she said eagerly, I repressed a scowl at the mention of her living situation. I took a deep breath, calming myself. I chose to focus on her excitement over her favourite subjects.

"I myself was an avid reader in my youth," She looked up at me with slight shock a small smile tugged at her lips. As we entered the castle Albus walked up to us, he had a knowing look on his face and a twinkle in his old eyes. I stop walking and shoot him a look of warning. Do not ruin this moment old man. Hayley stopped walking as well. Instinctively I stepped in front of her, shielding her from Albus. as much as I respected the man, she was my responsibility. He raised an eyebrow at me,

"Hello Professor Snape and Miss Green," Albus said cheerily,

Hayley glanced up at me nervously clearly picking up on the tension and for the first time I saw her as a scared eleven year old girl instead of the self sufficient young witch I had come to know. Something clicked inside of me, a fire burned in my stomach as I made eye contact with her. I folded my arms over my chest,

"Professor Dumbledore do you require something?" I said in a low voice.

"Just wanted to see how you two were getting along," he hummed popping a lemon drop in his mouth, I sent him another warning glare,

"Professor Snape is a remarkable man," Hayley spoke her voice filled with confidence only slightly under cut by her voice wavering, a small smile once again fought its way onto my face. The burning in my gut intensified. I stood up taller puffing up my chest.

"That he is and He would make a great father," Albus chuckled shooting me a pointed look, Hayley's eyes fell to the ground. I felt a small crack in my heart.

"Miss Green perhaps you should go look for Mr Weasley," I said my eyes never leaving Albus's.

She nodded giving me a small wave. Hayley swiftly walked away. The moment she was out of sight I began glaring at Albus, that statement was uncalled for. This whole conversation was unnecessary and had upset the poor girl. Stepped towards me and He patted my shoulder,

"Calm down Severus, she is clearly growing attached to you," Albus smiled widely at me.

Hayley's pov

"Green did you see us!" Fred called bounding over to me, I smiled as each twin began walking on either side of me.

"I thought we going to lose that game!" George added running a hand through his ginger hair.

"Fred got pummelled by Flint," I chimed in, Fred placed a hand over his heart and made a sound of hurt.