Chapter 20

A/N Hey guys thankyou so much for reading! comment your thoughts below also please check out my first original work 'Captain's Lass' currently 36 parts are published! thanks!

Severus's pov

Severus,

enclosed you'll find my homework, how has your break been?

-Hayley

A small smile worked its way onto my face, her homework was mostly correct with few minor errors. the first set of homework she sent me three weeks ago had many more mistakes. I looked up from my place on the twin-sized bed in the room I had done up for her, I'd repainted the walls a maroon colour with dull gold accents and bought new furniture. A Dark wooden desk, a dark bed frame, matching closet and dressers. Classes would resume in two day. students would be arriving at hogwarts tomorrow night. I was soon going to go to Hayley's orphanage so I could take Hayley to diagon alley and then to the station. I volunteered again this year to pick her up. when I had Albus had given me his truly frustrating all knowing look. I stood up quickly grabbing the portkey I had made the year before and apparated to the orphanage. The matron raised her eyebrow at me and turned to the filing cabinet beside her.

"Mr Snape if you wish to adopt I still need to inspect your home but we can start the paper-" The Matron started working

"I'm simply here to pick up Hayley Green for school," I cut the matron off. She made an 'o' with her mouth before turning towards the stairs she called out for Hayley.

The sound footsteps echoed down the stairs as Hayley raced down the stairs her suitcase thudded down the stairs. I nodded a thanks at the matron and made my way outside Hayley in tow. I waved my wand sending her trunk to her dorm. I reached into my pocket pulling out the portkey. I held out the portkey, she smiled  grabbing on to it. we used the port key to get to the diagon alley.

The streets were quiet only a few wizarding families left shopping. Apparently everyone had been prepared this year. I pulled out the list of what Hayley would need this year.

Third-year students would require:

The Standard Book of Spells, Grade 3 by Miranda Goshawk
Unfogging the Future by Cassandra Vablatsky (if studying Divination)
Intermediate Transfiguration by Emeric Switch
The Monster Book of Monsters (if studying Care of Magical Creatures)
Numerology and Grammatica (if studying Arithmancy)
Home Life and Social Habits of British Muggles by Wilhelm Wigworthy (if studying Muggle Studies)
Spellman's Syllabary (if studying Study of Ancient Runes)
The Essential Defence Against the Dark Arts by Arsenius Jigger

I raised an eyebrow was that truly it? Rolling my eyes I pulled out a quill from my pocket and wrote in 'New Cauldron'. That cauldron Dumbeldore had bought her during her first year was pathetic I'm surprised it survived this long.

"Where to First?" Hayley asked smiling up at me,

"Flourish and Blotts," I drawled,

Hayley began walking towards the bookstore, I was not far behind. She seemed to have grown a bit over the break. Her hair had grown too. I glanced down knockturn alley as we passed it. The shadows hid most features but I could sense the eyes watching me or more the likely, watching Hayley. Unfortunately Her green hair made her very hard to miss.

"Severus?" Hayley said drawing me from my thoughts.

I looked down, she was looking up at me her head tilted to ever so slightly. Apparently I had stopped dead in my tracks. Hayley tilted her head to the other side. I fought the urge to smile, if we were being watched it would not be wise to show caring towards Hayley. I gestured forward and we began walking again.