Chapter 3

Sorry I haven't updated in a while I have been so busy it slipped my mind
UPDATED
Snapes pov

First class of the year was the first year gryffindor and Slytherin class. However that would mean Hayley Green will be in my class. This should allow me to learn a bit about her. the students started to file in, they were almost dead silent. Ah the fearful shyness of first years, how I miss this. Unfortunately that shyness is always short lived. Despite my best efforts to in still a healthy fever in them. once all the students had taken their seats. I noticed Hayley sitting near the front. I began giving my beginning year speech. most of the students sat there confused and their faces showed increasing fear at my words. However one student Drew my attention. Potter wasn't paying attention... just like his father would've.

"But some of use feel they can just ignore me and still pass POTTER" I hissed, Potter jumped. A small snicker caught my attention, I glance at where the sound had come from to see a small smirk on Hayley's face. Turning back to potter I proceed to ask him a string of questions. None of which he knows the answers too.

Hayleys pov

Professor Snape scared harry out of his wits, it was surprisingly amusing. Professor Snape turned flicking his wand at the chalk board. Words started to appear on the board. Instructions. So we are actually making potions... a part of me still thought this was a fever dream. Professor Snape told us to begin brewing. I turned to my desk partner. It was a blonde haired boy in slytherin colours. he seemed alright from afar blonde hair blue eyes, confident. But up close I quickly discovered he was quite the nuisance.

"Oh the Slytherin-Haired Girl is my partner" The boy said in what I imagined was an attempt to charm me.

"Im not a Slytherin, just start brewing" I drawled rolling my eyes.

"Malfoy! Green! Why havent you started brewing" Snape snapped staring daggers at us. Malfoy so that's his last name. I refuse to be punished for Malfoy's Idiosyncrasies.

"Malfoy is too busy being stupid and not paying attention" I reply smiling sweetly at Malfoy. He narrowed his eyes at me. Snape Narrowed his eyes at Malfoy.

"Malfoy Focus" Snape snarled  before turning on his heels and striding back to his desk.

I continued brewing the potion. It turned a sickly green instead of the vibrant red. No amount of stirring counter clock wise seemed to be fixing it. Malfoy was about as helpful as using dry paper to put out a fire. Please don't explode. Please don't explode. Magic is really stressful.

Professor Snape flicked his wand and the liquid vanished from the cauldrons. The cauldron looked spotless. Everyone began filing out of classroom. I moved to follow my classmates.

"Miss Green please remain behind,"  Professor asked me to stay back. I chose to comply although I was confused as to what I could've done to deserve being reprimanded on the first day. If anything Malfoy deserved some degree of reprimanding for his piss poor behaviour.

Snapes pov

I was obligated to find out to what degree Malfoy had been a nuisance to Hayley. That was part of my job. However I wanted to know if she was having troubles. her mother would have wanted me too. Potter would've wanted to be the one doing this, he probably would've been doing this. it did bring me some semblance of joy that I got to do what potter could not. Lily would be pleased that someone was looking out for the child.

"Miss Green has Malfoy been harassing you?" I spoke with a monotone, the slightest bit of concern laced through my words,

"No Professor," she said slowly as if she was choosing her words carefully,

"Miss Green.." I say softly,

"No! He isn't! If this is why you called me here I believe the issue has been resolved!" She snapped. Hayley's face turned red, like lily's often had when she was angry. What has happened to this girl to make her so defensive?

"I care that's why I called you here however you are free to go" I respond coldly she nods and turns to leave.

I place my hand on my temple. Staring at my desk, images of lily's letter flashed in my mind. Her dying wish. A wish that after meeting Hayley seemed far more difficult then I'd previously thought. Not that I'd ever given in to the notion that this would be easy. At least The dark lord was gone. At least I only had to protect her from bullies and herself. I promise Lily I will keep her safe.