Chapter 22

Hayley's pov

I sat in the great hall between Fred and George. They were chatting about some prank they had designed to turn the slytherin's robes red and gold. I reached for a piece of toast on my plate and placed it on my plate.  I sighed. My mind was reeling from yesterdays revelations. why had I been placed in the orphanage? If Professor Lupin could've taken me? Why didn't he adopt me? Why had no one ever adopted me? I glanced up at the teachers, Professor Lupin was talking to Hagrid. In his sweater and shaggy hair he looked like a fatherly figure. For a moment I allowed myself to imagine what life would've been like if he had adopted me, Sunday dinners, asking for help with my homework, bedtime stories-

"Eat more then toast Hayley," Severus spoke from behind me,

His voice interrupted my musings. I nodded and grabbed another piece of toast. He let out a heavy sigh before stalking towards the teachers table. The rest of the meal went off without a hitch, everyone speculated about how Professor Lupin was as a teacher.

"Everything ok Hayls?" George said leaning down to look in my arms.

"Remus Lupin is my... godfather," Fred choked on his food.

"You have a godfather?!" Fred exclaimed.

I nodded George's face fell and he looked quite glum. I furrowed my brow confused. I tilted my head at him, George offered me a half smile.

"Why didn't he adopt you?"

"I-I don't know,"

We all filed into the DADA classroom. Our first class was DADA. The desks were pushed to the side and a closet rattled. I gave Harry a sideways glance. Professor Lupin stood beside the closet that was violently shaking. He explained that inside was a boggart. He had us line up in front of the closet. Neville is first up, Lupin asked him what he fears most.

"Professor Snape,"

"Yes he terrifies all," Professor Lupin chuckled.

Lupin leaned in to whisper in Nevilles ear. Neville nodded at him. Professor Lupin released the boggart... Professor Snape stepped out of the cupboard. Neville said the incantation and the boggart's closed changed into Nevilles grandmothers, the class erupted into laughter. Everyone began having a go, I was preoccupied by what my boggart would be... finally it was my turn. It stared at me before shifting into- a bright green light flashed in the room and people's echoed about as a dark figure approached me it morphed into myself. I froze, I couldn't move or breath. Professor Lupin jumped in front of me and banished the creature. He quickly dismissed the class. I hadn't moved. He slowly approached me crouching down to my level, I could see his mouth moving but I wasn't registering what he was saying. Suddenly his voice cut through the fog in my mind.

"Cub?"

A sense of calmness of familiarity washed over me, the faint scent of pine needles, honey and a hint of chocolate engulfed my memory. I could sense the faded memories, but no images appeared before my minds eye. They must've been so old I could only remember the feeling and the smell. I made eye contact with Professor Lupin... A strong instinct took over me, I broke the silence.

"Moony?" The word felt so familiar on my lips yet I had no idea why or what it meant. I looked at Professor Lupin, a fond smile graced his features.

"Moony is here cub," he said in a comforting tone like he was talking to a child.

"Remus what is moony?" My words sounded awkward like I was asking a question I should know the answer to.

"I'm moony it's a nickname your family called me, you called me," he explained.

"I called you it?"

"Actually it was your first word,"

Tears welled in my eyes. I hadn't had family in so long, Harry had the weasleys he didn't need me. Severus probably would never see me as his daughter no matter how much I wished he would. Remus was probably the only family I'd have.

Severus's pov

I stalked into the great hall Hayley was sitting with the twins and talking to Lupin. Albus placed a hand on my shoulder, I shrugged it off striding towards Hayley. She was laughing, Lupin handed her a wrapped piece of chocolate before dinner, had he know sense of responsibility? she's 13... she went to unwrap it

"Hayley eat proper food first," I drawled eyeing Lupin, who simply shrugged.

"I'd listen to the man if I were you cub," he hummed crouching won a little as he talked to her. Hayley nodded placing the candy in her pocket. She turned to me a smile still on her features.

"Professor how have your classes been?" The corner of my move tugged upwards,

"Fine enough Hayley,"

"Well Cub I'm starving I'm going to get some grub, make sure to get some yourself," Lupin said before departing to the teachers table.

"Meet me in my office after dinner Hayley," I followed Lupin to the staff table.

Hayley's pov

"Why'd he call you cub?" Fred asked, I shrugged,

"Apparently he used to call me that when I was a baby," I hummed in response,

I didn't bother finishing my food knowing full well that Severus would have gotten the house elf's to prepare some food for me. After dinner I headed straight to the dungeons. I started Knocking on Severus's office door. The door creaked open confirming my suspicions on his desk was two plates of potato and meatballs. I sat down across from him. He smiled at me as we began eating together.

"Did you know my parents?" I asked nonchalantly biting into a meatball. Severus paused,

"Yes,"

"What were they like?" I looked up at him,

Severus's pov

I melted when she looked at me, Damn your eyes Lily, Hayley had inherited her mother's wide eyed look of curiosity. How do I explain her parents? Why is she asking? Did Lupin say something? Focus Severus, talk about Lily.

"Your mother Lily was a brave kind hearted woman, she grew up a few streets away from myself," I began

"She had always been small for her age, never really got on with her older sister, Petunia," I continued, I noticed Hayley had stopped eating and was listening intently. I raised an eyebrow.

"Eat or I will stop,"

"Sorry Severus," she hurriedly shovelled potato into her mouth,

"Stood up to bullies, your mother was a gryffindor, shocking no one-,"

"What about my dad?"

I winced, both from the idea of my memories of Potter and her calling someone else dad. I sighed how would I tastefully handle this one? She looked nothing like Potter but her brother however... that apple didn't fall far.

"Your brother is very much like your father, looks, personality... all of it,"

"How'd they die?" She seemed pained asking the question,

"They were murdered, my he who must not be named,"