Chapter 72

Hayley's pov

Slowly I brought myself to my feet and dragged myself from the room of requirement into the darkened halls. Wrapping my arms around myself I wandered down the halls towards the Gryffindor common room. The sun was rising over the horizon illuminating the halls in an orange glow. I tightly wrapped my arms around myself. I felt magical coils around my waist tugging me sideways into an alcove. The new morning sunlight was yet to reach this corner leaving it in darkness. Brandishing my wand I twisted and muttered a counter curse at my waist. The coils gave a sharper tug. I stumbled forward  into the alcove.

"Lumos," I muttered.

The darkness retreated to reveal the face of my father in the darkness. He eyes were sunken and his expression solemn.  The coils retreated and Severus held out a familiar port key. I took a hold of it and we were sucked into a vacuum. My feet hut the ground and I looked around at the room. It wasn't spinners end or the dungeons... the walls were lined with paintings of many bearded wizards. This is the headmasters office. My father gestured for me to take a seat near the desk.

"I feel implored to tell you that The Dark Lord has made two new orders... One Dementor's are to be stationed at hogwarts-"

"Thats madness!" I interjected utterly gobsmacked,

"I know Lion but I have no choice I am warning you so you and your friends can be careful... the second order is that a trace has been placed on his name. Those who say it are going to be found," Severus continued,

That means Remus and Harry will be found. I felt a rock form in the pick of my stomach. Something I was getting used too. This feeling of dread. It felt as if a new horrible thing happened every day. my head fell into my hands and I let out a long sigh. My outrage has dissipated leaving only dread. I heard my father sit on the desk.

"How do you do it," I said barely above a whisper,

"Do what Lion?"

Taking a deep breath I turned weakly looking up at him. My father let out a sigh and sat on the edge of the desk beside me. He folded his arms over his chest. He tilted his head meeting my gaze.

"How do-do you compartmentalise all this? I'm-I'm drowning," I spoke my voice wavering,

"Thats normal Lion, The last thing I want is for you to be like me," Sev sighed heavily "The first time, I was fuelled by hate and self loathing-"

"What about now?" I murmured,

"Now... Now I fight for you. So you survive and have a chance to live,"

Silence fell over us. The weight of my fathers words hung in the air. For a moment I wondered if he was shielding me from just how bad the war actually was. Shaking my head I banished the thought surely Remus would've told me if it was truly worse then I knew.

Severus's pov

I glanced at Hayley she looked deep in thought. I resisted the urge to look through her mind. a part of me wanted to know what she knew. If my efforts were effective. While Hogwarts had become a place of suffering and torment outside these walls... it was much worse. Lupin had been keeping me updated. Many had fallen. Innocents, Order Members, Aurors, Children. Rarely were their deaths quick or painless. Hayley is a child she shouldn't have any stake in this fight. Together Lupin and I had agreed to only tell her what was necessary. For once we were able to reach an agreement.

"You should get back to your dorm room," I drawled,

Hayley nodded rising to her feet. I felt a sharp feeling stab my heart. My lips parted. Dread settled in my stomach. A horrible thought rung through my mind. This was the last time I was going to see her wasn't it?

Hayley's pov

"Wait Hayley," Sev said

I stopped dead in my tracks turning back to face my father. He hurriedly standing up. Taking two long strides he closed the distance between us. He had an indistinguishable expression on his face. He sucked in a long deep breath.

"you have made me a better man. Whatever comes to pass know you are loved and a beautiful person nothing will ever change that. You are stronger then you know, I love you Lion,"

"Thank you Sev I love you too," I awkwardly replied. I furrowed my brow why had he said all that? "I should uh probably get going?"

"Of course, goodbye Lion,"

"See you later Sev,"

I shuffled out of the room and made my way to Gryffindor Tower. The moment I stepped into the common room. Lavender and Parvati rushed over to me. Both looked exhausted and Lavender had a small cut on her hairline.

"Hayley!" Parvati called,

"What happened?" I asked meekly though I imagined I already knew,

"The Carrows," Lavender said, "but thats not why we came looking for you, Neville has a plan,"

Raising an eyebrow I glanced behind my friends it seemed everyone in Gryffindor was here and however the boy in question wasn't. Neville had a plan? to do what? And where was he?

"We are bringing Harry home tonight-"

"What?" I exclaimed cutting Lavender off

"He is in hogsmeade right now!" Parvati continued,

"Neville is bringing him back," Lavender finished,

I slumped against the wall. Harry was coming back. Does that mean he had been successful? Was He who must not be named vulnerable? Could he be killed? Questions raced through my mind sending me off balance. Ten minutes ago. Ten minutes ago I had been in my fathers office being told abut the trace and-and now the war could almost be over. Suddenly the painting above the fireplace swung open dragging me from the whirlwind in my mind. Neville jumped down. Then Hermione. Then Ron. Then Harry. Ginny immediately tackled him in a hug. The common room erupted in applause. All I could do was stare at Harry and his friends. Harry looked yes with me and slowly walked over.

"Hey Hayley-" He started,

"Did you do it?" I asked cutting him off,

"Almost theres another in the castle," Harry explained

He turned towards the rest of the students, He waved a hand to get everyones attention not that he needed too. Everyone was already staring at him with hopeful looks.

"in the castle there is something we need to find, hidden here in the castle. It'll help us defeat you know who," Harry explained,

"What is it?" Neville asked,

"I dont know,"

"Where is it?" I asked,

"I don't know,"

We have nothing, tears pricked the backs of my eyes. It felt like we were so close to ending this war and yet we were so far. We didn't even know what we were looking for. Harry described what he thought it would be. Related to Ravenclaw. Small. Concealable.

"Luna told me about a diadem, belonged to Rowena I think," Neville chimed in,

"It hasn't been seen in centuries," Lavender scoffed,

"What the bloody hell is a diadem?" Ron asked,

Before anyone could answer him Our discussion was cut short by Seamus rushing in. He had a very grave look on his face. Swallowing thickly he spoke.

"He knows Harry was spotted in hogsmeade," Seamus said his voice grim.