Chapter 73

Hayley's pov

The Carrows had rounded up every single student. They marched us through the halls. I swallowed the lump in my throat and glanced at Harry. He was a few rows ahead of me. Between Neville and Seamus. Our footsteps echoed through the hallowed halls of Hogwarts. We marched into the empty great hall. Standing in neat rows we filled the great hall. Once upon a time this room had been a place for laughter and light now only darkness hovered in the air. Severus strode through the rows of students. He slowly turned to face us his head held high. These moments were always a challenge because I knew he was a spy... but seeing my father as a deatheater. It was jarring.

"Many of you are surely wondering why I have summoned you here at this hour. Its come to my attention that earlier this evening Harry Potter was sighted at Hogsmeade. Now should anyone student or staff attempt to aide Mr Potter they will be punished to the severity of their crime. Anyone who fails to come forward will be treated as equally guilty," Severus drawled

My heart was pounding. All of Gryffindor knew. If one person broke... everyone would be punished. Severus wouldn't be able to save us. Save me. Severus stalked down the rows. I knew he was speaking but I couldn't hear him over my own heartbeat. Harry was in this room. All it would take is one persons fear. One persons betrayal.

Someone stepped out of the crowd. There was a collective gasp and my heart sank. We were screwed. I dragged my gaze up to meet the person... my throat closed up. It was Harry. Harry was confronting Severus. Oh merlin. a sharp ringing filled my ears.

"It seems despite your exhaustive defensive strategies you still have a bit of a security problem Headmaster," Harry spat,

The doors to the Great Hall opened and every living member of the Order strode in. I searched the faces. I found who I had been looking for. George, Fred and Remus were alright. They were here. I wanted to scream and I wanted to cry. even though the situation was incredibly dire I was still so relieved that they were alright and that I was in the same room as them. The Order stood behind Harry staring daggers at Severus.

"How dare you stand where he stood, tell them how it happened that night! How you looked him in the eye a man who trusted you! And killed him!" Harry roared,

Severus pulled his wand. Mconagall stepped in front of Harry. Students scattered to the sides of the hall. My heart stopped. Severus might die here. Right here. In front of me. My hands started to shake. Do something. I had to- I have to do- anything. I let out a scream as Mconagall cast the first spell. I sprinted forward as She cast the second. The third struck me. Only this one had been cast by my father.

"Petrificous Totalus!" He yelled,

"Hayley!" A chorus of voices roared,

My muscles hardened pressing my arms to my side. I fell back hitting the ground. Remus's face filled my vision. Tears brimmed in his eyes. George and Fred stood behind him. Their eyes darting between me and the fight before them. I could hear more spells being cast. I tried to move but I just couldn't I was paralysed. I couldn't even mutter a counter curse. Remus brandished his wand pointing it at me. Glass shattered. My muscles relaxed. I shot up whirling around looking to where my father had once stood. He was gone. The Carrows both were strewn on the steps. There was a hole was in the giant window. The hall erupted in applause and cheers. The lanterns roared to life. I turned to Remus he was looking at me with such fondness.

A scream echoed through the hall interrupting the celebrations. Thunder sounded. The air got cold. Suddenly someone else started Screaming. My eyes darted around. A whisper echoed in my mind and judging by everyone else's faces they heard it too. Remus stepped in front of me wand at the ready.