Chapter 34

Goodness another long chapter. I'm getting scared as we near the Cedric Diggory's death and the start of the second wizard in war. I need to know are you as scared as I am? Comment down below and as always let me know your thoughts!
Hayley's pov

"You killed me," a hunched over girl staggered forward towards me, dark hair hung over her face. She was dressed in a black tattered night gown. I tried to back up but my legs wouldn't move, my feet were planted firmly on the ground. I pulled out my wand and shakily pointed it the girl.

"You going to kill me again?" The girl hissed.

"I didn't mean to!" I cried out, my wand still pointed at her. The girl dragged her black bleeding eyes down to it.

"You'll burn for what you did!" Her voice was full of venom, her arm raised pointing a crooked finger at me.

The tangy scent of smoke reached my nose. My eyes widened as I looked down embers were attaching themselves to my pyjamas. Soon the smoke turned black as it burned the synthetic material of the pyjamas. Then a scream ripped from my throat as the flames began to lick my flesh. Soon the licks became bites, the putrid smell of burning flesh joined the smoke.

"Hayley!"

"Hayley!"

"Hayley!"

My eyes flew open and I jerked up. My green hair fell in front of my face, my eyes darted around the room adjusting to the darkness. They fell on Sev was was sitting on the end of my bed worry etched on his features. His hair was hair was Tousled, dark circles under his eyes. I'd woken him up. This realisation caused more tears to prick my eyes. His hand hovered over my leg, a conflicted look on his face. Something in me cracked, the tears began flowing free.

"I killed her dad, I killed her," I gasped out between sobs,

he is going to hate me now, he'll send me back to the orphanage who wants a murderer for a daughter. The worst part is I wouldn't blame him. I looked up at the man who had become my father and he didn't flinch away from me. he instead moved closer to me.

"You didn't Lion, He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named did," he soothed,

I blinked at him processing what he had done. Processing the fact he hadn't rejected me, he still loves me. I could feel words rising in my throat and for once I didn't stop them. I proceeded to spill the whole story to him occasionally stopping to gasp for air. His face remained frozen and unreadable.

"I'd hoped the curse would've worn off," he sighed he looked me in the eye,

"We will find a cure," he said with conviction he leaned forward as he spoke.

He looked out the window and rose up from the bed he bent over adjusting the blankets over me, flurrying my pillow. He paused for a moment looking at me. He turned and transfigured a pencil into one of those reclining chairs, he sat down on it leaning back. I gave him a curious look he smirked at me.

"Go to sleep Lion, I'll be right here,"

"I love you Sev,"

"I love you too Lion,"

Severus's pov

I slowly opened my eyes, quickly closing them again the sun from the window blinded me for a moment. I looked down at Hayley who was fast asleep. I carefully rose from the chair transfiguring it back to a pencil. Sneaking out of her room I headed downstairs only too be greeted by the sound of sizzling bacon and the smells of breakfast. I rounded the corner to the kitchen to see Lupin making breakfast with empty grocery bags on the table. He was making bacon eggs and some vegetables, honestly who eats that for breakfast. I noticed carrots were on the chopping board.

"She doesn't like carrots," I said my voice heavy with sleep, Lupin nodded waving his wand transfiguring the carrots into Pancakes. I snorted.

"That's hardly an equivalent,"

"No kid doesn't like pancakes Severus,"

I slumped into a chair running my hand down my face, Lupin raised an eyebrow at me passing me a cup. I downed the coffee. He waved his wand and the pots and pans started cooking themselves. Lupin sat across from me and folded his arms leaning on the table.

"I hate that the curse still effects her, I had prayed it would wear off eventually," He sighed,

"I know," I added quietly,

Lupins hand covered his mouth, he closed his eyes. His shoulders shook a little. I knew how he felt, it had killed me when she had told me the story the first time only And with every nightmare the feeling only grew stronger. Lupin seemed to find his composure again he rose from the chair muttering something about getting her for breakfast. I sighed, there had been murmurings of plans to bring back the dark lord. A sick feeling filled my stomach as I thought of what that could mean for hayley. All I knew was she would make it through alive.

Hayley's pov

I was awoken by someone sitting on my bed, slowly I opened my eyes before quickly closing them again as the sun blinded me. Once I'd adjusted to the light I saw it was Remus who had sat on my bed. He had a small smile on his face but his eyes seemed... sad? I sat up against the head board and shuffled over leaving some space beside me. I patted the bed and he chuckled shuffling into the empty spot beside me. I threw the blanket over his knees.We sat like that for a moment before he began to speak.

"Hayley do you remember how you heard my voice when dementors attack?" He said carefully looking down at me. I met his gaze nodding. Unsure where this was going.

"That was the moment I found you at Godric's hollow," he continued sighing, my eyes widened at his words. A million questions raised through my mind. But I stayed silent allowing my godfather to continue telling me the story. I closed my eyes and tried to picture the story as he told it.

Remus stumbled into the house if his now dead friends, he looked around Sirius was no where to be seen. Hayley... Remus sprinted up the stairs. Praying to god that his goddaughter was alive, praying she hadn't been killed. Images of her brown hair and bright green eyes flashed in his mind as he arrived at the top of the stairs. The nursery door was gone. He stepped into the room and saw Albus Dumbledore by the crib that held his goddaughter.

"She is alive," Albus hummed calmly, Remus swiftly walked towards Hayley and went to pick her up only to be stopped by the older wizard.

"But she did not escape unscathed," he added, Remus rounded on him.

"What happened," Remus growled Albus patted his shoulder. Remus shrugged off the old mans touch. Turning make To lock eyes with his goddaughter who was intently staring up at him. Her eyes were wide but he could still see the tear stains on her blotchy cheeks.

"The killing curse struck her, she is unable to touch any living thing,"

Remus collapsed onto his knees before his goddaughter, clutching at the ground. Everything she'd lost flooded his mind, her parents, her brother, a chance to be held, she will never be hugged, her family home, everything that a child should have she didn't even he had had more then she has. His heart cracked with every thought, his chest tightened violently causing a deep ache to radiate through his being. He raised his gaze to meet his goddaughters and he broke. Crying out in pure agony and anguish.

"Hayley!"

I shifted into my coyote form and rested my head on Remus's lap, his hand came down and rested on the back of my neck. I felt a few tears drop onto my fur.

"I'm sorry I didn't adopt you, Albus convinced me with my condition and yours you'd have a better life, I should've fought harder to keep you or at least see you," Remus said his voice wavering slightly. I snuggled closer to him.

"I'll be here for you from now on I promise,"

"I thought you were getting her out of bed not joining her," Sev snorted from the doorframe.

He was in his teaching clothes minus his robe. Remus rolled his eyes gently nudging me off him standing up. I followed shifting back into my normal form.

"Remus made breakfast,"