Chapter 70

Thank you for the patience with this chapter! Let me know what you think of it!
Hayley's pov

I hugged my books to my chest as I hurried to my next class. The hallways had become a battle ground. The Carrows had made sure of that. My mind had become a battle ground. Severus had made sure of that. It had been weeks since we had spoken. He had tried but I just couldn't talk to him. I slipped into Transfiguration a sigh of relief escaped me. Professor Mconagall was already there. She gave me a sad smile as I took the desk near hers. She looked so tired. Everyone else slowly trickled in. class began but honestly I couldn't pay attention. Between my lack of sleep and everything that had been going on it was too hard. apparently everyone else was the same.

"Lets have a rest class today hm?" Mconagall said gently,

Everyone nodded fervently. Most rested their heads on the desks. I stared out the window wondering where my friends and family were. The floo roared to life ripping me from my thoughts. An envelope flew over to Mconagall's desk. She glanced at it before passing it to me. I furrowed my brow as I saw my name written across it. In my fathers neat handwriting. A part of me wanted to just throw it away. But I needed to know. Carefully I opened it.

Lion,
I hate the distance between us,
We were always so close,
I know I'm the reason for the distance,
But I want to try and fix this,
Come to my office after this class,
Please I love you Hayley
-Dad

Tears lined my eyes. The part of me that wanted him. The part of me I had buried was screaming now. Begging to see him. Merlin I wanted to. But... I just can't not yet. Hogwarts was a mess because of him. Everyone was in danger because of him. Glancing around the room I saw the hurt he had caused and it strengthened my decision I can't see him when he is doing this. Despite all the reasons I had to not see him... I still wanted to. I longed for our conversations, his reassurance. His love.

Soon Class ended and I drifted out of the room. Rereading My fathers letter over and over again. Taking in his words. I could see tear stains on the paper. he had cried. A pang shot through my heart. slowly I made my way to the great hall for dinner. Looking up the teachers table, my fathers seat was empty. He was waiting for me. A fresh wave of Tears lined my eyes. Turning on my heels I fled towards the astronomy tower. I needed to get away from everyone. I wished I could write George or Remus but they were all in hiding. Rounding a corner I saw the carrows towering over a first year wands drawn. Without thinking I rushed forward.

"Leave him alone!" I exclaimed putting myself between them and the kid.

They shared a look before dismissing the child. I breathed a sigh of relief. That relief was short lived as they muttered the torture curse. White hot pain seared through every cell of my body. My mind was blank the pain went on for so long. The only comfort I had was that I had saved that child. Merlin this hurt. My mind felt like it was unravelling. The pain was too much. at least five minutes past. The pain never lessoned in fact it burnt stronger. Suddenly the pain released. Air filled my lungs. I gasped. RinGing filled my ears.

"Leave us before I curse you myself!" My fathers angry voice roared.

I saw the blurry figures of the Carrows scurry off. My fathers face filled my vision. His features full of concern. What was he doing here? I-I can't talk to him. I tried to sit up only for my muscles to give out. I hit the ground sending a dull ache through my bones.

"Careful just hold this,"

My father held out a familiar port key. I had no strength to fight. Weakly I grabbed the cup allowing my self to be sucked through a vacuum. I smacked onto the floor of his dungeon quarters. I felt myself being levitated off the floor. My father lowered me onto the couch. A blanket was thrown over me. He knelt down beside me, worry etched into his face.

"Its ok Lion I'm here,"

A dull ache had settled into my bones. I watched my father stand up and send a patronus off the kitchens. He immediately returned to my side. I opened my mouth, he shushed me.

"Sh sh rest, You need to rest," he soothed smoothing the blankets.

Severus's pov

I ran my hand through my hair. Adrenaline was pumping though my system. My daughter was in front of me again and she was hurt. Those blasted Carrows I will make them pay. A pop drew my attention to the newly appeared house elf. she placed two plates of food on my coffee table. I moved to kneel beside Hayley.

"Love are you able to move?" I asked gently

She nodded weakly wrapping the blanket around herself. I held my arms out in case she fell. Slowly my daughter rose to a sitting position. Tears dropped onto her cheeks as she breathed heavily. My heart ached, I knew the pain she was going through. i picked up one of the forks and speared a piece of sausage and lifted it towards her. She hesitantly opened her mouth. I slowly fed her until the plate was empty. She mumbled a thank you before laying back down. The fact she was letting me care for her only worried me more. She was so angry at me. Now she was silently letting me feed her? She must be in so much pain.

"Its ok Lion, its ok, I'm here," I soothed, I wasn't sure if I was soothing her or me anymore.

"Dad? I-I... thank you, I love you too,"