Chapter 64

We are getting close to Dumbledore's death. Its scary how close we are getting to the end. Whats been your favourite Severus moment so far?
Severus's pov

"Has it ever occurred to you that I don't want to do this anymore?" I asked as Dumbledore stared out the window.

"Whether its occurred to me or not isn't important," He responded,

The old man said it so matter of factly. He truly hadnt thought about whether or not I would want to care for my daughter instead of playing double agent. He didn't even turn to face me, this role he was having me play would be the reason I would never see my child grow up I was sure of it. A man who I was considered my dearest friend now seemed like a stranger over these past years it had become clearer, he didn't care for me or anyone and he would sacrifice us all if it meant he would win. Why else would he keep hiring dangerous teachers? Allow Dementor's into the grounds? Allow Potter to fight the darkest wizard of all time twice? Allow my daughter to nearly die? Allow my daughter to be orphaned once again?

"Has it ever crossed your brilliant mind that I don't want to risk my life anymore?"

Surely he has to understand. I no longer have the freedoms to risk my life frivolously I have a daughter, a child who depends on me. Albus's plans have been getting increasingly reckless and would be the death of every 'soldier' he claims to lead.

"Once upon a time you asked me to protect lily in exchange you would spy on Voldemort," Dumbledore responded,

"You failed," I snapped

"Thats not of any importance,"

"It is! Lily died and Hayley was orphaned!" I nearly yelled,

"It put Harry exactly where needs to be,"

I snorted of course thats what this was about. The chosen one, Harry Potter. The boy who lived. Yet somehow everyone conveniently forgets that two people survived that night. He let Hayley suffer so Harry could be "where he needs to be" Merlin he let Harry live with Petunia.

"We are not chess pieces, they are not chess pieces," I said in a dangerously low voice.

"You are soldiers, they are soldiers," he responded

"They are children," I growled.

Dumbledore didn't respond. He truly didn't care. He didn't care about me, hayley or harry. How had I never seem this before? How had I missed his blatant disregard for human life? Perhaps caring for a child has given me some perspective. Sending one last glare towards Dumbledore I strode from the room my cloak bellowed behind me. I passed Potter on my way down the stairs. My face morphed into one of pity as I watched him walk up to that horrendous man. Hogwarts seemed emptier then usual, my steps echoed throughout the halls as I made my way down to my office. Rounding the corner I stopped dead in my tracks. Sitting beside the door to my office was my 16 year old daughter reading a book on dark magic? Thats a first. Normally she reads books on charms or fiction or potions if she was in my office. Dark magic just didn't seem like something she would be drawn too. She's too much like... Lily.

"Sev?" My daughters voice pulled me from my thoughts. She stood up from her place on the floor hugging her book to her chest. A smile tugged at my lips.

"What do I owe the pleasure?" I asked.

"I think its best we talk in your office," she said in a very un-Hayley-like way and I had to admit in a very Snape-like way.

I nodded and moved to open the door to my office inviting Hayley inside. She strode sitting down in the chair across from mine. I sat down observing her mannerisms which truly seemed to be a copy and paste of mine. her face was emotionless and serious.

"What is a Horcux,"

Hayley's pov

My words sounded so clunky and rehearsed well because they were. I'd rehearsed what I was going to say a thousand times while waiting for my father to return to his office. He blinked at me a few times before opening his mouth wordlessly. A range of emotions flickered across his features.

"Where did you?"

"Harry told me he is working with Dumbledore to track down Voldemort's horcuxes," I explained,

this explanation I had also rehearsed. My father scowled at my words. He muttered something about needing to discuss this with Dumbledore.

"Can you tell me about them?" I asked looking hopefully at him. Sev seemed to think about this for a moment before letting out a long sigh,

"A horcux is when one splits their soul hiding that part away in an object," he explained

"What happens when you make one?"

This question I wasn't sure I would get a response too. Severus paused his face emotionless. I don't think he is going to respond. He is reacting to this ok. The hasn't stormed from the room or murdered anyone. Frankly I thought he mightve tried to kill harry since my research did tell me this magic was dangerous and dark. Severus never took kindly to me being in any danger. My father closed his eyes and began to talk.

"You become immortal in a sense, but it does horrible things to you, it twists your soul your very being and you are able to be killed by simply destroying the horcuxes," Severus said is voice low, he gaze seemed to pierce my soul.

Silence fell over us as I took in my fathers words. Is that what happened to Voldemort? Did making those horcuxes twist him? Surely he had to be some kind of evil already or at least twisted to decide to use this kind of horrible dark magic. Harry is hunting down part of Voldemort's soul. He is definitely in over his head... Dumbledore is not a good teacher. He is taking a child to hunt down Voldemort's soul.

"Hayley you mustn't go after the horcuxes promise me this," he said sternly pulling me from my thoughts.

"I-I promise,"