Chapter 175

(A/N: as the author who reads all your comments, I've been waiting for this chapter just as long as you have because I can't wait to see your reactions. I know you'll enjoy this one. That's Serena's dress for this scene up top. XxD)

******************************************************************

Jonathan was gone.

For good this time.

And while Clary took the afternoon to mourn, she still attended Alec and Serena's party, all formally dressed as they gathered everyone, Magnus, Lorenzo, Luke, Maryse, Imogen, Raphael, Aline Penhallow and Helen Blackthorn, the entire institute, along with a lot of the Downworld. Even Robert and Max were in attendance.

Alec had then called for attention, tapping a glass with a knife as everyone turned to the front of the room where he and his wife stood, the latter in a gorgeous one-shoulder dress of golden orange, almost like molten flame, with a midriff cut out.

"Thank you all for being here today," Alec called out into the silence. "Today we not only celebrate the defeat of a demon that wreaked havoc across the Institutes of the world, but we celebrate something else. We truly called you all together, because my gorgeous wife and I have a small announcement," he said as he called Serena forward, the girl not able to hide her smile.

"A lot of you have asked why we chose to have a bit of a fire theme tonight," Serena began, gesturing to the single flames that hovered in the air above them, and the centrepieces on the tables, real fire frozen in place, along with the dress she wore. "For those who don't know, flame, is what Shadowhunters use to celebrate the birth of a Nephilim."

The room stilled as people gaped.

"Alec and I are having a baby."

The room burst into applause as their family rushed over to them, amass of congratulations and hugs as Magnus and Lorenzo sent a burst of fireworks into the air.

Serena's smile was bashful as she met her brother's eyes and he wrapped her into a hug.

"Guess you weren't lying when you said Alec was going to be the father of my future nieces and nephews," Jace joked as he pulled away from her.

"I would ever lie about such a thing," Serena joked and her twin chuckled.

"No, but in all honesty, Rena, you are going to be an amazing mom. I mean you practically raised me and I think I turned out ok."

"Thank you, JJ. And you turned out more than ok," she replied as she kissed his cheek before Jace's face fell as he realised something.

"Wait a second. Are you telling me that you were pregnant when we went to Edom?"

Silence blanketed the room, Jace's voice loud enough for all the Shadowhunters to hear by the power of their runes.

"You went where?" Imogen asked in shock as she and Maryse moved over from where they were talking to Alec, and Serena shot her brother a look.

"To be fair, I had no idea I was pregnant. Mom, Grandma, little brother, I promise you, me and the baby are just fine. We only found out after we went to the infirmary when we got back. You really think Alec would let me go anywhere or do anything if he knew, even remotely, that either of us wasn't in perfect health?"

The two women stared at Alec as Jace shrugged, finding a fair point in what his sister said.

"Well, so long as you both are ok and that I get to be an uncle," he grinned as he picked his sister up and gently spun her around and people resumed mingling.

Then she turned to the two women, who still looked concerned as she took their hands.

"I promise you, we're ok. This baby has the blood of two of the most powerful Shadowhunter families in the world. He or she, is going to be just as headstrong as the Herondale's and just as stubborn as the Lightwood's, and just as strong as the both of them."

Maryse hugged her first.

"Congratulations, my darling. You both deserve this so much. And you are going to be amazing parents," she smiled, kissing the blonde on the forehead before she turned to Imogen.

"Grandma?"

Imogen hugged her.

"Your parents would be so proud of you. So proud. Just as proud as Maryse is now. You have given me more family than I ever thought I would have again. I love you, my dear, and I'm so proud of you. And I can't wait to meet my great-grandchild."

Serena struggled to keep the tears at bay as she pulled both the women she couldn't live without into a hug.

"Sorry, but, could I steal the woman of the hour for a second?" Clary interrupted and Serena wiped her eyes.

"Of course, Red."

And Serena slipped her hand into Clary's as the girl led her over to a quieter corner of the room as people began to dance.

"What's up, sis?" Serena asked as she pushed her blonde hair over her shoulder.

"I just...I just wanted to tell you, how much you mean to me. And how I'm so thankful for everything you've done for me, including treating me as your sister when there were times that I didn't deserve the privilege. I just, I love you Serena, and I'm so happy for you," Clary said as she began to cry.

"Hey, hey, I'm the one who's supposed to be crying at everything with her new pregnancy hormones," she joked, and Clary chuckled as she hugged the girl.

They pulled away as Serena wiped the tears from under Clary's eyes. "You will always be my sister. And I'm grateful for you too. Without you bumping into my brother at Pandemonium, I never would've found out who my birth parents were. I would never have the family that I do today. So, thank you, Clary. And I love you too."

And they hugged once more before two voices cleared their throats.

"Ladies," Jace greeted as they smiled through their tears.

"Care to dance?" Alec asked as he held out his hand, nodding over to where couples were beginning to sway on the dance floor.

"I thought you'd never ask, baby," Serena smiled as she took it and he led her away, Jace following suit.

And they danced the night away.