Chapter Two

"You got first-class train tickets?" Mia's eyes bulged

"I sure did, we've got unlimited drinks and snacks too"

"I feel like the Queen"

"There's only one Queen in this carriage and it is not you!" Jase smiled.

"I'm just the Queen's bitch" Mia rolled her eyes.

"Precisely. Now was Devil Cat alright?"

"He's going to have put on a stone when I come back. Mrs Oates has planned his entire menu for the weekend, and I bet Mum and Dad will give him fish if they see him. You know Dad gave him a bowl of freshly steamed prawns the other day that came in on the boat, so and I quote "he didn't get any bones from t'nasty fish" honestly" Mia shook her head.

"Your Mum and Dad are the best you know?"

"They really are. I wish they'd stop working so hard though, they get enough custom and have enough in the bank to pay someone to manage day to day. But they said they would miss the people"

"You know they won't get anyone in. Since they got that chippy they've been determined it's going to be the best on the front. Everyone knows Mo and Dave from The Seahorse"

"It is the best on the front, and I'm not being biased. Their awards take up four shelves, and the queue is always down the road most days before they even open, much to my annoyance trying to get to my front door. Dad is always researching newer methods and how to be sustainable, you know he's got banana blossom on the menu for vegans? He's just..ahh the best. How are yours? Anything?"

"I don't know, I've messaged my Mum. Nothing back. I saw Dad in town one day and he just walked past me. Not even a flicker of recognition"

"Fuck"

"It's their loss, it still fucking hurts. But it is what is"

"My Mum won't have them in the shop you know? Your Mum went in a few months past, my Mum told her to find somewhere else as she didn't want 'her sorts' money in the till"

"Wow, using her own insults against her. Go, Maureen. That was nice of her, she didn't have to do that"

"You know she did, she would do anything for you. My Parents love you, you might as well be their son. You know if you called them at two in the morning they would be there. They'd bollock you, but they'd be there"

"It's true, your Mum and Dad always have a cracking Pride display out, the world needs more Dave and Mo's"

"And I'm sure, the display, it's not just for the community" Mia raised an eyebrow.

"Well it's not for you, Little Miss Straight Laced"

"I'm not straight-laced"

"Bitch, you haven't even upgraded your own fingers from manual to digital"

"I just don't know what to do with those whirling, buzzing, things. I have the sex drive of a panda"

"Seriously tell me you do not teach sex education at that school?"

"No, I teach English and occasionally a bit of home ec"

"Seriously, you need to upgrade, they make things that practically take you on a date and fuck you until the batteries run out or if you got one that plugs in, sheesh!"

"Wow. I wouldn't even know what to do"

"That's the point, if you don't know what makes you happy, how the fuck is anyone else supposed to know? So tomorrow morning, we are going shopping and I've booked us both a pampering session. Operation unleash Foxy Mia has begun and we're going to upgrade you to a digital fuck toy!"