23

Namjoon noticed the way Taehyung was frowning, looking lost in thought as he laid on the hotel bed.

"What's up?" The student prompted.

Taehyung took a moment to form his words.

"No one's...been in contact with Yoongi since he was taken away, right?"

Namjoon's heart flipped at the mention of his former teacher. "No...I don't think so. I certainly haven't- my parents made sure of that. But I don't know if the others were able to call him or see him."

"I went to his place every day after the trial, for a week straight before I heard about you moving to Sannamdong, and I called him nonstop, but he never answered and wasn't home." Taehyung said. "I'm just wondering...because I don't think anyone has seen or heard from him. Not if Jungkook left everything behind, Cho wouldn't let Jimin contact any of us, Seokjin's parents had him sent away and Hoseok was forced into a relationship...no one's been able to check on Yoongi, or the alters."

"Tae...what are you saying?" Namjoon became fearful.

"I don't know...I just had this random thought. But I can't get it out of my head and my instincts are telling me to look into it." Taehyung pulled out his new phone. "What's the likely punishment for a teacher getting caught dating a student?"

"Depends," Namjoon answered immediately, like he had researched this in great depth. "If the student is over 18, a minor, if they were just dating, if they had sex, if it was consensual or not, what state you live in, if you have a past criminal background- the punishment varies from jail time to a fine to just being fired to nothing at all."

"Yoongi had no criminal background, he never would have been hired as a teacher if he did." Taehyung thought aloud. "And you were 18, and it was definitely a consensual relationship."

Namjoon nodded slowly, not knowing where this was going.

"Surely...he wouldn't get sent to prison with all those facts pointing in his favor?" Taehyung frowned. "Hey, pass me that pad of notes and a pen, please."

Namjoon quickly handed him the items, scooting over to sit beside him on the bed.

"Jail is for minor crimes or short sentences, while prison is for severe crimes like murder and life sentences, right?" Taehyung explained his train of thought. "Well, considering Yoongi most likely wasn't sent to prison, he's probably at a jail somewhere nearby then, right?"

He looked up every single jail, detention center, correction center, correctional facility, lock-up and remand center in their county, which turned out to only have eight.

He wrote the names down as well as their phone numbers and Namjoon bit his nail, watching as Taehyung dialed the first one.

His heart hammered at the thought of finally getting to hear Yoongi's voice after so many months.

"Hi, my name is Kim Taehyung, I'm a researcher for the local crime reporting paper and I was just wondering if you had someone named Min Yoongi in your building? I'd like to ask him for an interview- oh? He's not? And you're sure? Okay, thank you anyways."

He hung up and crossed the first building off his list.

"He's gotta be in one of these, they wouldn't have sent him to prison, or far away." He mumbled, holding the ringing phone to his ear.

"Hi, my name is Kim Taehyung. Do you by chance have a person named Min Yoongi in your care? No? Are you sure? Alright, thanks."

He crossed off the second one.

Namjoon got up from the bed, nervously pacing between the beds as Taehyung continued down the list.

"Hi- I'm Taehyung, a researcher and I was hoping to get an interview with a man in your establishment, Min Yoongi? ...you don't see that name listed? Okay, thank you."

"Hi, I'm looking for a man named Min Yoongi, and I heard he was being held in your- he's not? And you double checked?"

"Hello, is Min Yoongi a resident- you've never heard that name before?"

"Is Min Yoongi there? No? And he never has been?"

Namjoon watched with a sinking feeling as the names kept getting scratched off the list, each line of ink dashing his hopes.

Taehyung nervously tapped the pen against the last name on the paper. "Well, eighth times the charm, right?"

He dialed.

"Hi, I'd like to speak to one of your residents, a man named Min Yoongi. Can you tell him it's Kim Taehy-"

The researcher's face turned white and Namjoon leaped onto the bed, shaking him.

"What- what did they say?!"

Taehyung hung up, eyes wide as he faced him.

"Yoongi...was scheduled to be dropped off at Gyodoso correctional facility to pay a five hundred dollar fine for breaking Korean code of conduct #32.08/7B for having a relationship with a student."

Namjoon shook the boys shoulders. "And? You wouldn't look you saw a ghost for just that! What else did they say?!"

"He...paid the fine. So...he should have been released. A free man and all that...but if he was supposed to be back home...why were all the lights still off and the door locked when I went over there? Why did he never answer my calls? Why didn't he try to get in contact with any of us?"

Namjoon went still.

"You think...something happened to him?"

"This was a whole month ago...I...it's just not adding up." Taehyung stood up. "Call Jungkook and Hobi, let them know-"

"Where are you going?" Namjoon hurried after him.

"I want to talk to the people at Gyodoso, see if they're hiding something or if they know what happened. Because I know Yoongi, and he never would just leave us."

Namjoon bit his lip, watching Taehyung leave as he dialed Jungkook.

The phone rang and rang, eventually being picked up by the voicemail.