47

The door opened, and Namjoon's fear and anger shot up when he saw Dr. Ji step inside the chamber, carrying a small bag.

Even though Yoongi was blindfolded, he still tensed at the sound of footsteps entering, and Namjoon's heart clenched in realization that his love had learned how his captors footsteps sounded, living in fear of it every day.

"I had a feeling reuniting you two would bring him back out." The doctor preened, like he was worthy of any praise.

"Leave him alone!" Namjoon shouted, furious. "You've done enough to him!"

Dr. Ji settled down on the floor in front of the two cages. "Actually, I've barely started. I'll explain everything to you, since I like hearing myself talk, and you're a captive audience." He chuckled.

Namjoon never classified himself as a violent person, but if he ever got the chance to hurt this man, he wouldn't hold back.

"You see, I told you I'm researching the mental health field in depth for a book, specifically disassociative identity disorder." He explained. "Stumbling across Yoongi was like finding buried treasure. He was the perfect subject to begin my research on. Phase one was studying how his mind worked with the four alters. Want to know what I discovered?"

"No." Namjoon said coldly.

"The alters aren't triggered out by a certain situation, like most people had previously believed. It's the combination of a situation added with strong emotions. For example, serotonin, the chemical that causes happiness, brings out Yoonie, who is a happy go lucky child. Epinephrine, the chemical that causes anger, brings out hateful Agust. The protective one, Suga, who is always driven by a fierce need to protect Yoongi, is triggered by adrenaline. And Yoonji is brought out by cortisol, which is triggered by stress. Since Yoongi is the host, and has all ranges of emotion, it's difficult to bring him to the front when he doesn't want to be. But now that I've brought you two together, I know exactly what chemical I can use to trigger him out."

Namjoon felt his heart seize with guilt. He wouldn't have said anything to Yoongi if he had known it was going to be part of the doctors plan.

"Dopamine." The doctor continued. "The chemical for love."

"You're a sick bastard." Namjoon spat. "Manipulating Yoongi's emotions for your research."

"The ends justify the means." Dr. Ji shrugged. "We're making huge advancements in the field."

"You're breaking all codes of ethics!" Namjoon shouted, struggling to break free of the chains.

"The code of ethics doesn't mean anything to someone who doesn't believe in them." Dr. Ji chuckled. "That's like telling an atheist they're going to hell."

He opened his bag and showed the contents to Namjoon, who froze in horror at the sight of four needles lined up inside.

"I'll let you pick." The doctor hummed. "One needle contains serotonin, one has cortisol, one has adrenaline, and one has epinephrine. Who shall we trigger out today?"

Yoongi tensed upon hearing that, drawing back in the cage.

This wouldn't be the first time the doctor had stabbed him with a needle to force someone else to the front, and it was never a pleasant experience.

"Don't!" Namjoon begged. "Leave him alone! Please!"

"If you don't pick, I will." The doctor didn't give him a choice.

"Inject me!" Namjoon pleaded. "Please, I won't fight!"

"Oh, we'll get to you soon, don't worry." The doctor ran his fingers along the syringes. "But I told you I was only done with the first phase with Yoongi. Phase two involves studying the alters in depth."

"Why?" Namjoon wasn't sure he wanted to know the answer. "For what?"

"Pick." Dr. Ji held up the four needles. "And I'll tell you."

Namjoon didn't know what to do, he couldn't tell what kind of liquid was inside each syringe- it was too dark to tell. He didn't want to bring out poor Yoonie and have the innocent baby subjected to this hell hole, and he didn't want to choose Agust either, since the alter had been taking the brunt of all this torture and had only just now gotten a break when Yoongi took over.

He didn't want to bring out Suga or Yoonji either, and be responsible for one of them being subjected to whatever the doctor was going to do, but if he didn't pick, the doctor would and Namjoon had a feeling he knew what was in each needle, and had a bias for certain alters.

"The...third one." Namjoon mumbled in defeat.

"What do you know about the Boraecium project back in 2001?" The doctor picked up the third needle, studying it in the red light.

Namjoon blinked, going back to his tenth grade biology class. "They...they had the first successful attempt at-"

He froze cutting himself off. "No- you can't be serious!"

"The first successful attempt at human cloning." Dr. Ji grinned wickedly. "And it just so happens the lead doctor is a good friend of mine, and he lent me his notes."

Yoongi shuffled back when he felt the doctor getting close, letting out a startled cry when a hand grabbed his shirt, yanking him forwards.

"Don't!" Namjoon screamed, watching in horror as the doctor plunged the sharp tip into the jugular vein on Yoongi's neck.

Yoongi wailed in pain, feeling the rush of the drug flood through his veins, to his heart, and to his brain.

"Yoongi!" Namjoon cried, tears spilling down his cheeks at the sight. "Stop it- leave him alone! Don't hurt him!"

The doctor only released him when the syringe was empty, sitting back to observe.

Yoongi fell against the back of the cage, eyes fluttering as his conscious dropped and someone else rushed to the front.

Namjoon held his breath as the new alter sat up, shaking the hair out of their eyes.

They looked up at the doctor, clearly displeased.

"You."

Dr. Ji smiled. "Ah, how lovely it is to see you again, Suga."