55

"Don't tell me I wasn't invited!" Agust laughed, tossing his head back as he ran both hands through his hair. "Ah, this feels so much better, thanks doc. And here I was thinking everything you were doing was terrible! But this," he sighed, stretching his arms out. "Oh, I could get used to this."

Namjoon couldn't take his eyes away.

Agust.

It was Agust.

Not Suga.

Agust D.

Standing alone, on his own, a real person. Flesh and blood and bone.

A human being, not an alter.

Everyone else in the room seemed to be as shocked as Namjoon was, mouths open and frozen in place.

"I know Suga was supposed to be the guest of honor, but I saw my one and only chance of getting free, and I just couldn't pass that up. Whoopsies. I mean, after twenty six years of being chained to four other people, constantly subjected to their actions and emotions, you can't blame me for wanting to be my own person." He shrugged, rolling his shoulders. "Damn, what's a villain got to do to get a massage around here?"

"Spitfire." Dr. Ji finally found his voice. "I should have known you would get in my way again. It's always you."

Agust smiled, pressing his palm against his cheek as he batted his wrist at the doctor. "Oh, you."

"Agust..." Namjoon couldn't believe it.

Agust heard and glanced at him, the humor leaving his dark eyes as he looked at the student.

He took a step forward but was intercepted by a guard, holding a black device out at him.

"What's this, a birthday gift?" Agust eyed it. "I'm honored, but please tell me you kept the receipt."

"It's a systemanervosum eversor." The guard said, his thumb hovering over a small red button on it. Two other buttons stood beside the red one, one black, one white.

"A whatty what what?" Agust snapped his fingers impatiently. "Simple words man, come on. We're not all fuckin' nerds."

"A neuron destroyer." Dr. Ji stepped up. He looked to the assistants. "Clear the room."

They hurried to leave, so it was just them five inside.

"Wow, my very own neuron destroyer!" Agust said brightly. "Always wanted one of those."

"That red button gets pressed and it'll send out an neurocyte annihilating shockwave." The doctor said.

"Good, always hated those neuro-thingies." Agust made to step around them, but the device was shoved in his face again.

"Every stem cell in your body is made from neurocytes, anomaly." Dr. Ji said coldly. "They die, you die. There's three waves. The first will temporarily stun the nerves, paralyzing you. The second one causes immense pain, making you wish you were dead. The third one kills. Want me to demonstrate?"

Agust stopped, eyeing him with a calculating look. "Really doctor? You're doing this to me on my birthday? And here I thought I was the bad guy."

Dr. Ji motioned to an operating table. "Have a seat, anomaly. Unless you want to experience the first wave."

Agust stared at him for a few tense moments, and Namjoon wondered if he would really try something.

He half hoped he would, half hoped he wouldn't.

Finally Agust sighed in exaggeration, walking over to the table. "Well doc, gotta be honest with you. The gift fucking blows. The cake better make up for it or else Yoonie will have a serious tantrum."