Chapter 45 - Elonar

Chapter forty five

The sun was just beginning to set when Elonar and Garlan arrived in highgarden. Their sons condition was much worse that they had anticipated, he lay in his bed, his tiny chest rising and falling rapidly, his breath released in short rasped wheezes, small pox marks covered his pale skin. El took her son in her arms and held him tight against her chest."he's burning" El remarked brushing his cheek with her forefinger. Her eyes squeezed shut and bit hard down her bottom lip, trying to hold back tears.

The room was large, but stuffy,and crowded with various hand maids, and maesters. "What can we do to help him?" Garlan asked Maester Ellys, who stood in the corner in the room silently.

The old man cleared his husky throat "my lord, I don't think there is much we can do for him" El sat back down in a chair by the fire and rocked her son, looking up at the old maester with glassy eyes.

Garlan paced the stuffy room, "Are you absolutely positive?" Garlan questioned, turning sharply turning to the Maester.

"Yes, my lord. His condition has only worsened over the past week. I'm afraid this fever will mostly take him" The old man said.

"Week?" El questioned.

"How long has be been this way?" Garlan asked

"He first became ill, only a day after you left, and we sent word to you, but got no answer" Maester Ellys.

"Who sent this word?" El asked growing cautious.

"Milday, the Lady Margaery first came to help your son, along with her ladies, and when we decided to send word, one of her ladies volunteered." Maester Ellys said, "Evangeline I think her name was, she rode off at once, and hasn't returned since."

El was too shocked to speak "Evangeline.." She repeated "gods, where's Axel?"

"He's outside, Milday, should I let him in?" Grayce asked, El nodded.

"Leave us" she said harshly and waited for the room to clear before she spoke again "Axel what happened?"

"While you were away, Garlan became ill and Margaery came to look after him with her ladies, and Evangeline offered to ride to Brightwater Keep and take the word, which I initially thought was strange enough and when she did not return I grew even more anxious that's when I sent someone to Brightwater keep." Axel explained, running his long fingers though his hair.

"Go find her and bring her to me" El said "I don't what she's playing at, but if we had have gotten entered soon, maybe he wouldn't be like this" she said stroking her sons cheek.

"Of course my lady" he bowed his head.

El stood and passed her son to Garlan, and embraced Axel. Her grey eyes turned hard as stone and her voice colder than ice, "find her, and bring her to me, and I will kill that little whore" she hissed in his ear.