Chapter Forty; Axel Umber.

Chapter Forty

Axel Umber

That night at the feast he watched her all night. She was just so perfect, and just so slightly out of reach. He could never have her and that killed him. He loved her, but she was married and happy. Everyone in that hall was happy, everyone but Axel. The Tyrells were all merry, celebrating Garlans return, obviously El was no longer annoyed with him, at least she wasn't showing it. "Happy" Axel sighed under his breath, he had been so close to having her,and he finally got her, she was so perfect. He re-lived that night, every night since. He was getting closer still and then Garlan came back. He had been dead, for gods sake, and he came back.

Axel sat back in his chair and sipped his wine, he watched her dancing with Garlan. She would spin and her curls would follow in a blur of silky brown. That dress looked so pretty on her, the blue with golden flowers, just make her look so beautiful. The way she had her hair was different, she usually had it pinned back, but tonight it was loose and curls flowed down her back softly.

"Axel, we are going to bed, do you want to walk back with us?" El asked, holding Garlan's hand behind her. He nodded and rose, taking one last swig of his wine, then he followed El and Garlan through the halls and stairs of highgarden. "Did you have a nice evening?" El asked Axel, just before they went up the last staircase.

"Yes, Milday" he said. They come to the top of the staircase, and there was someone up there, there must have been, because Garlan ushered El down the stairs.

"What? Who's there?" El said pushing past Garlan.

"No, it's no one." Garlan said hastily.

Axel followed El up the stairs again, they saw a very beautiful young girl, who would have been twenty at the oldest, with. God she was pretty, Axel thought, she had a Copper coloured mane that flowed down her back, in neat soft waves. She had an innocent face, pale complexion, defined cheek bones, and freckles that dotted her rosy cheeks, but there was something about her piercing deep set, green eyes, that were so alive, so fierce, so dangerous, something extremely alluring about them, that had Axel totally mesmerised. "Milday" she curtsied seeing El, and an almost wicked little smile crossed her face.

El looked puzzled, "and who are you?" El asked raising an eyebrow slightly.

"Evie.." Garlan said, avoiding her green eyes. There was a strange sort of tension in the air, in that moment.

"You two know each other?" Elonar questioned, she seemed on edge, slightly uncomfortable even.

"Yes" Garlan said "Evie.. Evangeline, Was one of my sister margaery's hand maidens, and I thought she went to the capital with my sister."

"I was in the capital, and so was your sister." Evangeline began "but we came back, only an hour ago, my lord" she said, only speaking to Garlan.

"Where is my sister now?" Garlan asked.

"In her chambers, she is tired from the journey, but I'm sure she'd be delighted to see you, Garlan."she said his name with such emphasise.

Garlan looked to El as if to ask her permission "fine" El smiled, then Garlan disappeared with Evangeline down the corridor.

"I don't like her" El said to Axel once inside her bed chamber.

"Mmmh" Axel muttered pouring himself a drink And slouching down In a chair.

"What did you think of her?" El asked, pacing.

"She was pretty, but we just met her." Axel said.

"I didn't like how she spoke to Garlan, not at all." El said almost angrily.

"El don't worry. I think they do have a past.. But that's in the past.."

"Isn't everything we do, after we've done it." El said quietly. "Sometimes we regret it, sometimes we don't."

"El I know what your thinking, and I'm sure he would never do anything with her."

"And Axel, a year ago, I would have believed you, but we are all changed now, and I don't know anything anymore."

Axel stood, and slowly walked to El, he stood so close to her, he could hear her breaths. "With what happened, I still don't regret it." El took a breath in shakily, but she didn't pushed Axel away when his lips touched hers briefly.

"No it's not fair." El said, breaking away "you should go"

He turned to leave, "you know, I don't think he would ever want to hurt you, he loves you to much."

"And that's why it's not fair" Elonar said staring at the floor.

"To who El?" Axel questioned lingering at the door.

"You, me, Garlan. All three of us, this situation will hurt all of us." El answered.

Axel nodded silently and left, leaving El alone in her chamber. Axel went out into the corridor and headed for his chamber, he stopped dead, he heard hushed voices.

"Evie.. We can't, I told you." It was Garlan, Axel knew it.

"But please." Evangeline begged, Axel peered around the corner seeing Evangeline with Garlan pinned against the wall, their lips so close, they were near enough touching. Evangeline pressed her lips to Garlan's, but he pushed her away.

"Evie, I can't." He pushed her off, and walked away. Shit Axel thought, what was going on, El was right, everyone was changed, even Garlan, especially Garlan. He couldn't tell El, that would only worsen the situation. For now, he would say nothing, and do nothing. That had to be right, that was hurting less people that way.