Chapter forty-seven

Chapter 47

Axel Umber

Axel rode hard into the wind, chasing after the copper coloured wisp that was Evangeline. Axel was close, but what would he do when he caught up with her? He'd been chasing her shadow for a week now, she was one woman who did not want to be caught, that was for certain.

Rain slashed at his face, cutting, cold, hard lines in his cheeks. He kicked his mare, and she bolted after the copper coloured trail. Soon he caught up to her, she bolted her horse abruptly, as Axel approached her side. "Who are you?" She hissed, her green eyes anxiously avoiding Axel's.

"It need not matter who I am" Axel replied.

"I don't see what I've done" Evangeline said her eyes finally meeting Axel's. She was beautiful, those wickedly green eyes,

Axel looked at her and smirked "Then why, are you running?" He almost laughed.

"Touché" she answered plainly. "I didn't mean for any of this"

"Then surely, you can explain to me what happened regarding Garlan Stark?" Axel asked, adjusting himself on his horse.

"I never meant for any of this" she began "you must love her, Lady Elonar I need, doing her will, like this, chasing handmaids for a week." She grinned.

Axel scowled,"I serve her house, and she is my queen, so obviously I serve her in every way I can."

"Every way?" She questioned "that might explain Garlan running to me."

"Whatever do you mean?"

"You know exactly what I mean. Garlan told me everything." Evangeline hissed, "it's strange isn't it, how someone can be so madly in love, but they can be so easily distracted by what might have been?" She laughed . Axel was confused."You probably want to know why I did what I did, but the thing is I'm not going to tell, I will however gladly tell Elonar, just seeing her expression when she knows will be enough"

Axel's eyebrows were knitted in confusion "I'm not following."

"I'm assuming she's awaiting us in Highgarden." Evangeline smiled wickedly. "Come, Axel, we can't keep the queen waiting.." She snarled, sarcasm seeped through her inch of her words.

***