A murder on D street part 2

"Sir we caught something in our net!" 

"What's that," Atsushi asked.

"We have a net out on the river.... to ensure that no evidence floats away." The younger officer told us.

The men operating the net started yelling "IT'S A BODY! THERE'S A BODY IN THE RIVER"

"What"

"A second victim?"

The net pulled out the net and tangled in it was a tall man in a trench coat, a very familiar trench coat. 

"Mr. Dazai!" I exclaimed in surprise.

"Why Atsushi! Hard at work as always, eh? Oh hi y/n" 

"...Another drowning attempt," Atsushi said.

Unfortunately when Atsushi said that it threw Mr. Dazai into a suicide rant saying how he wanted to leave this earth with a beautiful woman by his side. Eventually, after that, they were able to get him out of the net. Sadly for the officers, Mr. Dazai's theatrics weren't quite over. We explained the case to him which in my opinion might not have been a good idea.

"....So that's what happened." he got quiet all of a sudden. 

"My god! A young flower, in the prime of her life....Cruelly robbed of her very future."

He got on his knees. "What a tragedy! Oh, how this pains me! If only we could have given up the ghost together!" He yelled. 

"Who is this man," detective Minoura said.

Ranpo responded "A coworker and an enigma to even me," Yeah but when does Mr. Dazai make sense.

"But fret not, my poor victim!" I noticed out of my peripheral I noticed someone. It was the officer that was with Minoura at the beginning of the investigation. He was shifting back and forth between his feet like he's trying to keep himself distracted. Isn't he supposed to be taking notes or at least be focused on what's going on? He checks his watch and then starts watching Mr. Ranpo complaining about not being on the case. Ranpo then pointed at the officer.

"You! What's your name?" Ranpo asked but more so demanded.

"Me?" The guy asked confuse before introducing himself. "Officer Sugimoto! I worked under Ms. Yamagiwa, the deceased...sir!" Ranpo placed his hand on Sugimoto's shoulder silently then shouted.

"Okay Sugimoto you're the detective now! Solve this case for us within sixty seconds!"

"Wha-!? I... Uh...! Whaaa-!? Only sixty seconds...!?"

"It's fifty seconds now," Ranpo said with a stopwatch that came out of nowhere. Sugimoto right now kind of reminds me of Atsushi during the entrance exam, I wasn't any better but my statement still stands.

Sugimoto started going off about how she was probably hit by the mafia since she was doing a case about a corrupt politician. He was interrupted bluntly by Mr. Dazai. "Wrong"

"Huh...?"

"A mafia hit is akin to a calling card. It is proof of their presence. The mafia's modus operandi for traitors is to first force them to bite the curb... And then deliver a kick to the back of the head, shattering their jaw. As the victim writhes in pain, they turn the poor soul around... and fire three shots in the chest." That was more descriptive than I needed.

"Y-you're right actually."

"Though it resembles their methods, this is not the mafia's handiwork. In other words..."

"....The killer was trying to deceive us."

"So... the culprit shot the corpse twice more to make it look like a mafia hit...? Awful" 'Twice more?'