Untitled Part 46

Location: London

"You know what? Forget it! I'll stop trying to help you, you think your father is so great, then he can deal with the meeting instead of having me fly all the way to Japan to deal with this! God forbid he takes time out of his day to help his kids!" The woman hung up the phone. She pulled at her (h/c) in frustration. "God, every time I think things are going all right something happens."

"Well, I admit your not getting a break, but you didn't go about handling it the best way." The brown haired lying next to the woman said.

The woman placed her phone on the nightstand and turned on her side to face the man. "I just don't know what to do with her. I'm not good at this parenting stuff like you are. I just don't know where I'm going wrong Mitchell."

The man put his book down and turned to the woman, "Well for starters you compared her to my kids and I think we both know she's not a big fan of me." 

"That's true, it's just your kids are so great. They love you so much, they're so friendly and they were so welcoming to me, Lily even gave me the drawings of us as a family together, and Christopher and Finn made me cookies. Sure Alex is was welcoming to you but, (y/n) can just be so...prickly."

"That's just how teenagers are sometimes. Besides can you really blame her, Alex was out of the house by the time you and your ex-husband divorced." 

"I  understand, it's just me and Alex- and your kids, we all just connect so well. Then when it comes to her, I feel like we're from different planets. The two of us are either cold and distant, or trying to rip each other's hair out."

"Maybe deep down some part of you holds resent meant toward her." the man suggested.

This shocked the woman, "What, I would never shes my baby girl, I would never hate my children."

"Dahlia, I'm not saying you do, but you said she looks more like your ex-husband then Alex does. Maybe deep down your resentment towards him has been taken out on her. She's a kid and shes confused at why you seem so distant to her."

"Do you really think she thinks that I don't love her?"

"Well, she's on the other side of the world and you two are still managing to argue, so yes."

"I've been a bad mother. You know what! I'm gonna fix this and I'm gonna let that kid know mama loves her!" 

"Yeah, you are!"

"Why don't we do a family vacation? You, me, and the kids all go to Japan and visit my girl. Then we can all bond like a family."

"I don't see why not? We can start planning tomorrow." the man said and turned the lights off.

"I wonder how my baby's adjusting to life in Japan?"

Location: Yokohama

"Holy shit," the girl said looking at the crisp carcass.  

"Well another day, another time the police needs our help."

I pulled the file out of the satchel, " Maehara Shiota, age: 26, body reported at 1:34 am over hotline by a bar employee, autopsy says the time of death was 12: 50 to 1:15 am." I put the file back into the satchel, "I think the cause of death is pretty obvious."

"Well, you've got your evidence get going," Ranpo said before sitting on steps connecting to the bar's back entrance.

"WHAT! This is your job! you need to start doing it!"

"And you are an employee too now, I'm your superior so do as I say."

I look around the alley behind the bar. There was a broken bottle on the ground, some of the shattered pieces had an amber liquid pooling in them. After a whiff of the liquid, it was clear to identify it as some sort of alcohol. It may not have been the victim but someone on the scene was clearly intoxicated at the time of the murder.