The case

Y/n's point of view

Mr. Fukuzawa gave us the case file. I went to the storage closet to grab the detective case bag. I opened the bag and put the file in and then typed the location into my phone. I put the bag on my shoulder and walked out with the detective. "Ranpo the map says the site is only ten minutes away, so is it okay if we just walk?"

"It's fine with me public transportation is too complicated anyways"

"Really? Your the world's greatest detective if I recall" 

"Well do you know how the train system works" he rhetorically asked.

".....um" I couldn't think of what to say. I never had to use the train before the bus would get me around just fine, and it's for a city I'm completely new to.

"That's what I thought" 

We continued in silence. That is until I got bored and tried to break it. "So Ranpo, did you like the muffin?" I asked.

"The what?" he asked.

"The chocolate chip muffin, I left it in your desk drawer," I explained.

"Oh, that it was okay. I prefer sweeter options though"

"Sweeter? Like what?"

"Candy! It's great if you want to give me an appreciation gift for being the best detective but, get me something sweet next time." 

"uh sure ok" 

"Ugh excuse me sorry", I said as I avoided bumping into an older man holding a camera on the sidewalk. Ranpo and I arrived at a victorian style house. The house was aged but its intricate architecture made it one of high value, even if it was covered in yellow caution tape. I checked the address on my phone and it was the same on the house. Ranpo and I stepped onto the porch. We walked into the house that was filled with investigators and police officers. Mr. Minoura, the same man from the last investigation was talking to a group of officers by the staircase. Ranpo walked up to Mr. Minoura and interrupted the conversation they had. 

"Hey Minoura where's the evidence"

"Ranpo we shouldn't interrupt them it's rude" I tried reasoning with Ranpo 

But, apparently, Ranpo is a stubborn person, "Please a great detective such as myself doesn't waste time with manners when there's a case to be solved." 

"Ah, detective I see your manners haven't improved since we last met." He looks at me before rubbing the bridge of his nose and scowling. "And your still bringing children to a crime scene." 

"eh, she'll be fine. She's just here to carry things and make sure we know where we're going."

"What I thought I could like shadow you or something" I whined. 

"You thought wrong!" Ranpo says as he takes the evidence file, glances at it, and plops it into my arms. "Come along to the second level!" He says and goes up the old creaky steps. I walk up the steps, the floorboards creaking underneath me. I walk up each step with a small creak.

EE-

EE-

EE-

 I reach the top step. 

EEEE- hearing a slight echo, an almost hollow sound, before the board collapses in on itself. I looked down at the officers and they all just gave me a "are you fucking serious" look. 

"Umm sorry about the step," I said awkwardly before searching the room Ranpo disappeared into. I found him in a large master bedroom with a canopy bed and two bedside tables placed on the sides of the bed. There was a cushioned bench at the end of the bed with a black and white floral design. There was a dark cherry wood dresser in the corner accompanied by a black armchair, and black lace curtains hung by the window, making the room slightly dimmed.