Great way to end the day

I left the skyscraper, of course glaring at the receptionist on my way out. I walked home before stopping at Ukai's store and picking up two packaged muffins, strawberry milk, and f/m (favorite milk or milk substitute). I walked down the street to cross the bridge and noticed my favorite blueberry sat on our bench. I sat down next to her and pulled out the strawberry milk passing it to her. "Hey, Kyo-chan! Lovely weather we're having am I right?" I joked looking up at the cloudy gray sky.

"Yeah," she said quietly while staring down at the ground.

"You all right Kyouka?"

"Y/n"

"Yeah," I asked trying to be as comforting sounding as possible.

"You'd be there for me even in the worst of times"

"Of course," 

"Even if I were a bad person," 

"Always Kyouka, even if you were a serial killer!" I joked trying to lighten the tension, however the joke didn't seem to land only being met by silence. 

"I figured you'd say that" she said as she stared at the ground and her eyes beginning to water. "I want to give you something," she said as she stood up wiping her tears. 

"What is it" I inquired.

"It's a surprise, close your eyes." 

"ok" I heard shuffling and jangling and then a clicking sound. I felt something on my wrist and then the clicking sound again. 

"Kyouka?" I opened my eyes

"I'm sorry, I didn't want to drag you into my mess. You never gonna see me again so this is goodbye." she looked at me once more before walking away.  I got up in a panic.

"Kyouka! what are you saying!" I tried to run after her but I fell by being tugged back by my hand. I looked to my right wrist and saw it was in a handcuff connected to the bench. "Kyouka! What are you doing come back! We can talk this out! We can figure it out together! Kyouka!" Unfortunately, my pleads fell upon deaf ears. I tried to pull and break the cuff only to find it futile. Then the parasitic feeling of paranoia started to seep in once more. 'I'm being watched. So this must be a prank. Kyouka must have pranked me and she's watching how'd I react. But the gaze on me it doesn't feel comforting like a small prank from a friend it feels Predatorile. I feel like some vultures prey. I want to curl in one myself and hide' Tears started welling in my eyes at my fear and watching another friendship going down the drain. I take my phone out of my pocket and dial the only number that makes sense. 'He did say I could call if I ever need some help.' "Hello Mr. Fukuzawa" 

"Y/n? Is everything ok?" 

"I-*sniff* not exactly" I kept wiping my eyes just for them to keep watering.

"What's wrong?"

"It's a long story but basically I'm handcuffed *sniff* to a bench and I can't get it off," 

"Ok, Dazais the only one in the agency that can pick locks, but Kenji's here so he can get the cuff off the bench however it's still going to be on your wrist." He explained. 

"Ok, yeah, that works"

"Alright, I'll send Kenji over to your location, where is it?" he asked.

"its by a bridge off of the Tsurumi river and couple blocks south of Tenjin Bridge"

"Alright, Kenji's on his way"

"Hey, Mr. Fukuzawa," I hesitated, "Can you stay on the phone? It's alright if you can't I was just wondering."

"It's alright y/n I can stay on the phone"

"Thank you, Mr. Fukuzawa," I smiled, the paranoia of being watched remained. However, being watched, I felt safer, like I had net to catch me if anything were to happen. "So what's new with the agency? I didn't miss much did I?"

"No not much, Atsushi's on a shopping trip with Yosano and Dazai went missing but its normal for him. Ranpo went another case. He took Junichiro with him, but he was moody since in his words it was "too boring for the world's greatest detective" and then complained how he had to do all the work cause Junichiro just couldn't solve it himself." He ranted.

"That reminds me when can I go on another case with Ranpo?"

"Soon I'm sure" 

"Ok, I'm not gonna be there tomorrow by the way."

"Why is that?" 

"Well, I took a job as a painter from this rich lady my art teacher suggested. So I go to her office to paint and then once it's finished she'll pay me." I explained enthusiastically, "That's where I was today." I look in the distance and see a familiar boy in overalls and a straw hat. "Kenji's here I'll talk to you later, bye"

"Goodbye, also try to stay focused on your walk back. Kenji is well known in the city so he can chat up a storm."

"Got it." I hung up the phone before waving to Kenji. "Hey, Kenji!"

"Hey, Y/n!" Kenji ran up to me, "Got yourself into quite the pickle there haven't ya"

"Yep a bit" 

"Welp let's see if could just-" Kenji pulled the bar before the handle came off the bench. "There we go" The handle was still stuck in the handcuff but at least I was mobile now. On our walk back we got a lot of stares and for good reason. After all, two 14-year-olds walking around the city all by themselves. One of the teenagers being barefoot, the other with a handcuff on one wrist attached to a part of a public bench being dragged along with her. We were a sight to see, to say the least. Once we got back to the agency Kenji and I were reasonably tired. 

When we entered the agency I noticed Ranpo and Junichiro were back along with Kunikida but Dazai and Atsushi were still gone.  

"Hey Ranpo, Hey Junichiro, Hey Mr. Kunikida"

"Hey, Y/n what's with the new bracelet," Ranpo asked.

"Oh you know seeing if it suits me" I joked.

"When is Dazai going to be back? I don't want to be dragging this chunk of metal everywhere" I complained. 

Junichiro cuts in "Hey, just wondering why didn't you guys just have Kenji pull it off."

"It's cuffed on too tight I didn't want to risk breaking my wrist" I explained.

"Oh, but what about the piece of metal," he asked.

"Well..." me and Kenji looked at each other 

Kenji speaks for both of us, "We didn't think that far" Mrs. Yosano walks in from the medical center while Kenji pulls the metal bench handle off after tearing a part of it apart.

"You know I could take care of the for you" She offers.

"Really?" I ask.

"Yes, Ill chop your hand off and then heal right back up. You won't feel a thing."

I look behind her to see Junichiro shaking his with a dark look in his eyes warning me not to take her up on her offer. 

"I think I'm good Mrs. Yosano" 

She sighs, "Fine, you guys are so boring"  Mrs. Haruno walks out of Mr. Fukuzawa's office.

"Y/n the President would like to have a word with you"

"ok"

Bamm another chapter and ooh things are getting spicy Kyoukas redemption arc is coming along. Also in the past chapter or chapters, if you noticed I have a little malice towards a character you'd be correct. I'm often bothered by a trope where if someone is shy or not as confident and outgoing as other characters then they can do no wrong. I've been hurt by someone who lives by that logic. If you are confident and love yourself you are not a bad person. Or if you're shy and quiet you're not automatically a good person either. And you can't blame others for your wrongs because you're insecure and they're not. I know this is really ranty but I wanted to try to get my point across. Bye

~Author